Butch Jones is a solid hire.

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Jewbaccah, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Smokeys tail

Smokeys tail New Member

I think he needs to bring people from his Cincy staff. I believe this was one of Dooley's biggest downfalls. Dooley did not have his guys, maybe that says a lot about Dooley. Nobody wanted to work with him. I don't know why. Jones is taking on a huge task in trying to turn the vols around. He has to surround himself with people that he can trust and people that believes in the same things that he does. He has already kept Graham and I think he will add a couple more that was not on his previous staff.

2. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I'll put up with Jones' jonesisms if he wins - but he better win big. I'm not holding my breath.

All I can say is he better win or I'm not sure how Tennessee will be able to climb out of that hole.

3. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

He is about to land Green guys. He is going to take a few recruits from Auburn as well Lon the D side. I wanted Gruden. Gruden could of brought us glory. Butch will make us UGA good. Nothing we can do now. The stage is set.

4. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

This reminds me. My cousin is a DB committed to Auburn. His little brother is the #1 recruit in the class of 2015. How do I get Butch Jones to give them a damn call? Dooley's football office wouldn't answer or return our calls.

5. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Lets pretend the team that beat Cincinnati was the same team that took the field against Kentucky.

6. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

I'm not willing to admit our program is dead, but that is ridiculous. I wouldn't call Richt great, but 2 straight SECCG game appearances and 10 win seasons are better than what Butch has been. And Muschamp is better as well.

7. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

0-1 against [ddiapos]. How's that for a stat?

8. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

Ha ha. I do not think you need to worry.

9. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Let's pretend that going 10-3 against Cincinnati's schedule in 2011 passes for accomplishment.

10. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Jew, some of us simply aren't happy with the hire. The only thing that will change that is for him to win both the recruiting battles and on the field. Time will tell. Until then, it is what it is I suppose.

11. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

Muschamp is awful. He will survive because of talent. Right is right had a good year get an extension take one off.

12. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I don't hate Butch Jones, and like TT said, I blame his being here squarely on Hart and Cheek.

That being said, I am not going to waste a moment of contemplative thought on Butch Jones, his staff, his haircut, what he did at Cincy, how he compares to Charlie Strong or Charlie Chaplin - or anything else of complete non-importance.

I'll measure him by this single-minded standard: the number of championships he wins. Period.

Don't care if he beats Florida and Oregon by 100+ points.
    I don't care if he beats Saban so badly that the man retires.
    Don't care of he donates a kidney to an orphaned child.
    Don't care what he wears.
    Don't care how he recruits.
    Don't care about 4-3 versus 3-4.
    Don't care about how much attention he does or does not pay to Tennessee high schools.
    Don't care about what color his pants are.
    Don't care if Urban Meyer loves or hates him.
    Don't care what Brent Hubbs thinks about him.
    Don't care what his team did when he announced he was leaving.
    Don't care that his kids know their names.
    Don't care what his wife chooses, or where he ranked on her list of potential spouses.
    Don't care if he reads the maxims before a game.
    Don't care if he brings back black jerseys. Or pink.
    Don't care if be runs more than he passes.
    Don't care how "fiery" or aloof he is.
    Don't care where he lives.
    Don't care what recruits he now puts us in line for, or waves off.

Championships.

Does he win them?

Hardware?

Does he bring it home?

Yes? Great hire, glad it worked out. Keep it up.

No? GTFO. Next!

Maybe I'll shake out of this at some point.

But right now, I don't give a shit.

Bring me a SEC or NC championship or you're a failure.

13. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

UGA loses their entire team btw. It will be the RBs and a new cast next year.

14. GahLee

It's a solid hire. Not when people believe Gruden was in the fold, nothing would have sufficed that appetite other than Stoops. He has beat Charlie Strong two out of three games. Just throwing that out.

15. GahLee

Never said that.

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

No need to pretend anything. We had three years of garbage. Cincy came in and laid an egg. We weren't magically a great team one afternoon.

17. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

His teams are second half warriors. He's not a great gameplanner, but he is a hell of a gameday coach.

18. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I am going to throw something through my wall if I keep hearing "nothing we can do."

Throw Gruden out of this discussion. You do not allow yourself to end up at Jones in this search. We had time on our side, and we squandered it.

I will not accept this hire as justifiable for Tennessee in this situation. It wasn't.

Jones will do his thing and if he wins, great for him. But I don't care about him. It'll be great for his players. Because he is going to go out and recruit kids into one of the most dysfunctional athletic departments in the country. They are going to have the odds stacked against them from day one. And if this guy can give them wins, then for that I will be grateful.

However, the act of hiring him and in the manner it was conducted is unforgivable. Heads need to roll.

19. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

And if he doesn't realize that those are the true expectations of this program, then that's on him, and I'll shed just as many tears for him as I did for Dooley - zero.

20. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

Do SEC east titles count? That is where this is heading.