Butch Jones is a solid hire.

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Jewbaccah, Dec 8, 2012.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

We beat out Colorado. Georgia, Florida, or Bama wouldn't interview this guy.

2. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

It called talent and depth. Makes you look great in the second half.

3. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Good chance you would have been severely disappointed with any hire UT would have made.

4. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

When it's for one or two games against Bowling Green or Akron, then yeah, it's talent and depth. When you're doing it against A&M, LSU, and FSU, the latter pair having as much if not more talent than you, it's the gameplan when you go out after the half.

5. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Then we need to downsize the program and slash the budget. If we're incapable of hiring coaches who can compete for titles, there's no [dadgum] reason to spend big money to chase Chik Fil A Bowl invites.

6. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Well, did it matter when Fulmer backed into winning his last East title?

Think UGA was happy with winning the East, and nothing beyond it?

Do they give out rings when San Fran wins the NFC West?

No, to all?

Then, no.

7. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

The ****? If SEC East titles were the holy grail, we could have ****ing kept Fulmer.

8. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

That's really what you would guess if someone put a gun to your head?

9. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

The west is about to be crazy good. Texas and Bama are about to own the SEC. You never know but David vs. Goliath in champ games. Watch Mullen jump ship to CU he is so scared of the west.

10. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

You mean I'm disappointed in any Tennessee coach who doesn't win a championship?

Then, yes. And so should anyone be, too.

Because I realize that this is the standard - whether anyone else believes it or not - or has simply forgotten it.

11. Volalum

Volalum Member

Umm....This + A Shit Ton

12. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Hell, we can kill the recruiting budget as well. Plenty of "hard working" 2 and 3 stars in Tennessee who would be proud to cut the sleeves off of perfectly good polos and gaze into the mighty Tennessee River with the intensity of 1000 suns. That's what gets you to the Compass Bowl, by God.

13. spurgeon

spurgeon Member

Take Gruden out of the picture and then let me restate: I can't see using the word "solid" to describe this hire. We just don't define "solid" the same way, and that's okay.

14. GahLee

Not sure if you are intentionally trying to take what I said out of context or not. My comment had nothing to do with Cincinnati and everything to do with the Tennessee team that beat them as opposed to the shadow of a team that lost to Kentucky.

Point is, I don't see how Tennessee losing to that Kentucky team is some sort of indictment on Butch Jones as a coach. They played two very different teams.

15. GahLee

I agree.

16. docholiday

docholiday Contributor

Chic Fil A bowl invites may be a stretch with this guy. I am thinking more in line with the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl.

17. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

I'm sorry, but until A&M starts recruiting elite trench players, then I'm not buying sustained success for them. They caught lightning in a bottle this year. Congrats to them for that. Sumlin doesn't strike me as a guy who will prioritize the front 7 on defense.

18. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I guess the long and short of it is the only thing that's gonna change anybody's mind about this dude is for him to go out on Saturdays and do it. I'm not gonna shoot down any reason to be optimistic, and I'm not gonna write pages and pages about why he's going to suck either. I hope he does well, because that's all I can do.

19. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

East titles aren't good enough for me either, but the way things are headed, we won't be able to win an East Tennessee title.

20. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

SEC East titles count as much as they did when Fulmer was here. Nothing in my book - if you can't parlay them into championships.