Calling non-retarded people “retard” is retarded.

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Jan 1, 2020.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Well, I was using that as an example, not factual.

And if you aren't smart enough to tell the difference between the two, well then, bless your heart.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

So the distinction is that things you don't agree with being removed (things that offend people "remote" to you) are "whitewashing," but things you or those not "remote" to you that offend are unwise and undignified to say. This seems "you" centric and arbitrary.

I try to avoid dropping hard r's because I shouldn't need to use the word to express myself and I am trying not to make other people's lives more unpleasant. But I am pretty sure that's the objective of the dreaded "PC culture," and I know that is exactly why I don't call things "gay" anymore and try to avoid gendered pronouns when I don't know what someone's deal is. I think some of the dissonance comes from who people see as a class that needs protecting or not.

3. CardinalVol

Side note - by and large I've noticed that most die hard MAGA-fight PC folks are 10 times the "snowflakes" as the folks on the other side.

4. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Free speech is gov’t vs People, as a Constitutional tenet.

But the ideals of free speech existed long before and beyond it’s enshrinement in the Constitution, doesn’t singularly exist there.

I think every human has a God-given right of free speech, whether their constitution, or any others, does or does not ensure for it.

When I’m saying “free speech”, I’m intending it to mean it’s total reality, neither excluding its constitutional inclusion nor being so narrowly limited by that, alone.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Didn't God Himself ban saying his own name in the Bible? Not sure how this is God-given.

JudgmentVol likes this.
  6. CardinalVol

The problem comes when someone says something, perhaps to someone as a joke between them, perhaps someone the term even is derogatory to in general, is found out, and oh the masses cry upon it. I also think social media has made it much worse.

I'm fine with trying to create a culture, PC is more trying to police it with tear gas at every instance.

justingroves likes this.
  7. IP

IP Super Moderator

So it is how it is "enforced," rather than the objective and rules. That's fair. People in groups are awful and look to elevate themselves by beating others down. I can get behind you on that.

8. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

The ideals of free speech have always existed as people vs authority. Always.

God, as IP points out, has banned a lot of what we'd call speech.

9. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

I'd say TP is a far greater gift to assholes. imo, jmo.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  10. CardinalVol

I think our points of emphasis of the phrase are different and we're close to agreement.

I have no problem with trying to create a culture of respect. Fine and dandy. I think it's a good thing.

It's the enforcement by the masses in every case that happens when said rules are broken that I have the problem with. Now, some probably should be enforced. Others, maybe not.

11. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Depends on the TP.

12. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

OK, cracker.

So, the problem is you disapprove of the lack of freedom from consequences, as well. You want to say what to say and not get any push back, have people freely speak they don't approve of what you say or associate themselves, business, product, etc. with your free speech.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

[​IMG]

14. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Ok that is twice in one week middle earth has come up around me.

The signs are saying it's time to watch LoTR.

15. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

And time for my annual re-reading.

16. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

[​IMG]

warhammer likes this.
  17. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I have to fit it in between my two DnD games I am running and my flute lessons every week, though.

18. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Excellent point.

And to be clear - I’m making no effort, and have no personal desire or intent, to separate the exercising of free speech from its normal ramifications.

If you say the N word to a black person, you can’t then use the exercising of your free speech to escape their responding negatively to it (eg firing you, punching you, etc.).

Similarly, Card has every right to think that anyone’s use of the word “retard” makes them an asshole, and to say exactly that.

19. CardinalVol

That's offensive.

20. CardinalVol

*sighs*

I really need to read the books. I've watched the movie, but I never have read the books.

Side note, I had never heard the old southern phase "pounding" as a collection of food and supplies for a needy family until yesterday, and then heard it used twice before 8:30am.