Charleston AME Church Shooting

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by CardinalVol, Jun 18, 2015.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Wait I thought video games were responsible?

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

3. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Is that Obama's fault, or the idiotic public's.

"Black lib as President, better load up on fire power. He's probly a muslim version of the antichrist." Brilliant.

4. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

What does that have to do with the rate? If anything you would think our lowish population density would slow things down.

5. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

We've got lot of stupid/crazy people with access to firearms. Diversity has very little to do with it.

6. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Don't forget the pope

7. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

That Norway's shooter killed 100. Relative to our and theirs population, we'd have to have a mass shooting that'd amount to the death toll of 9-11

8. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

You'll never convince me they don't play a factor.

9. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

He's dying for the days of the 12th century. He's not a big fan of individualism that came through the enlightenment.

10. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Not only that, but people often cite actual numbers instead of per capita. For instance "US had 15 shootings last year, where as Germany had just 1!" And that is a ridiculous argument.

11. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

A shooter is a shooter. He goes into a crowded area (yes, they have them in Norway) and kills a lot of people. Size of country's entire population doesn't affect the death toll.

That said, your argument actually supports the idea that our murder rate should be much lower than Norway's since it would take a 9-11 type murder spree to achive what the Norwegian massacre did.

Truth be told, these infamous mass shootings don't move the number much on the overall murder rate one way or the other. Vast majority of killings are drug-related or domestic violence.

12. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I agree with that. I'm concerned about the rate.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

15/300 = 5 per million

1/80 = 1 out of a million

By the random numbers you just stated, that means the US still has 5 times as many of those incidents proportionally. You find that to be a ridiculous point?

14. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

They were pulled out of my ass. I did zero research, but even given the "actual" numbers there, the per capita is 5x higher vs 15x higher when you look at total attacks in this completely made up scenario.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

So who's complaining? I don't care if every competent, law-abiding citizen has 1,000 guns, so long as they are responsible in their use and store them securely. It is the last part that needs more attention, as I've said on here before.

16. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I just have a hard time believing it won't be similar to the TSA making me remove my belt to stop terrorism

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm saying per capita, the US does have more violent crime than other first world nations. I don't know how one can dismiss that. That we even try probably highlights the underlying issue: we're stubborn as **** over here. Everyone thinks it won't happen to them, their gun won't get used without their knowledge, no one they know would do such a thing, etc.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

It isn't laws that will fix this, it is culture and personal responsibility. Everyone who owns guns ought to have them locked up when they aren't carrying them. Everyone who sells/trades guns ought to make damn sure who it is they are dealing with. It is the only way this stops. No law can do it. The man who gave a known criminal, drug abuser, person with emotional issues, etc a gun ought to have some life-altering consequences. That was beyond negligent, it approaches "accessory."

19. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Is this even possible?

20. wildnkrazykat

wildnkrazykat Well-Known Member

For the most part they ****ers are bat shit crazy. All the in and outs involved with that should be the target of our focus. Leave normal healthy gun owners the **** alone