Charleston AME Church Shooting

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by CardinalVol, Jun 18, 2015.

1. wildnkrazykat

wildnkrazykat Well-Known Member

Nope. Some things you can't legislate

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

the media turning these guys into celebrities is the biggest factor. if these idiots didn't know they wouldn't go down in history I think a bunch wouldn't do it.

3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Agree with that too. I think both play a part. Lack of parental involvement, being generally off a bit are all parts of it.

I don't think it's any one reason, there are multiple reasons that cause it.

4. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

I think it's a combination of every thing mentioned that plays in to these situations.

CNN is unbearable.

5. OrangeEmpire

Yep

6. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

OE!! Quick off topic side question, are cops allowed to speed when cruising (simply driving and not pursuing)?

7. OrangeEmpire

Never!

There are exceptions for every thing.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

yeah I just think the "i'm going out in a blaze of glory" crap is directly related to people turning the columbine guy into a anti hero of sorts. I think the normal disturbed individual probably kills himself or maybe one other person if they don't think "you know I can be famous too!" we certainly know copycat killers are a thing.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
  9. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

So, no, not really but maybe? :)

10. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Yeah, it's probably the last piece to fully make it's way into the puzzle, if I were guessing.

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

facebook, twitter, etc combined with the 24 hour news stations make things that wouldn't even have gotten reported 30 years ago turned into huge stories. would anyone know the equivalent of the white lady pretending to be black 30 years ago? I doubt it would be more than a blurb in the newspaper. now these nuts know if they do this that they are instant celebrities and people will be talking about them on tv for hours on end.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Did I suggest we legislate it? Your response is a non sequitur.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

in a way it's another sign of the narcissism of today's society. god forbid you just kill yourself. no you have to kill yourself and become famous and do it better than every other nutjob before you.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

If you don't know who you are dealing with, don't make the [dadgum] deal. Culture. Change.

You want to sell and trade with strangers? Do it through a local gun store.

15. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I don't disagree with you at all, but you won't hear that much about this in the public discourse

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

9 people killed for being black? Better cry about the poor normal gun owners' perceived persecution. Glad you have your priorities in order.

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

only way to do this would be to start prosecuting people who don't check properly. of course a lot of times in these situations the guns have been borrowed from dad or whatever rather than purchased by the criminal.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Gotta start somewhere.

19. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Guns have become more regulated and harder to obtain than they were in the 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s... 70s?

And yet there are more mass shootings, shootings in general, violent crime with firearms, etc, than in the 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, etc.

So what changed?

It can't be pure volume--the criminals can steal more argument--because back in the day, the criminals could just order one from a catalog. There haven't been face to face background checks ever--but now it is called for as a necessity. Can Americans just not be trusted anymore, or could we ever?

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

outside of banning guns completely, i'm not sure there is really a way out of this situation. i'd like to at least pass laws that MIGHT lower the carnage and MIGHT stop nuts from purchasing guns. making people go through some sort of certification process that requires actual police training and approval might help. anything to delay nuts getting guns quickly.