Chavis to A&M

Discussion in 'Sports' started by NorthGaVol, Dec 30, 2014.

1. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

He's an immediate upgrade for TAMU.

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

He was a worthless behind the scenes piece of shit who caused as much of the entitlement problem around here as fulmer did. He wouldn't get off his fat ass to go of and recruit and then would raise holy heel until he got the players he wanted of defense of the tweeners whether it was beneficial to the team or not. Of course then there was the stupidity of games such as bama 07 of second half of ucla 08.

Him getting 1.7M is more laughable than Jones Jones getting 3.6M.

3. kidbourbon

UCLA '08? That's the game where we had four interceptions and a 0-36 performance by Jon Crompton against a team we would have beaten by three TDs running off-tackle every play, yes?

And that's on Chavis?

4. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I despise Chavis, but agree with you on this game.

I just checked, and the defense had 4 TO's and held UCLA to 288 total yards. Unless I'm forgetting some gaffe in that game (entirely possible), it's hard to pin that one on him.

5. kidbourbon

Basically all you're saying is that he wouldn't recruit. I have no evidence to suggest you're wrong in making that assertion, but I'll just note that God made recruiting coordinators and fat head coaches who coordinate neither the offense nor the defense nor special teams for a reason. And I'll further note that UT never once had a bad defense under Chavis while the offense was rotting away under every OC whose last name doesn't rhyme Schmayvid Schmutschmiffe, and I'll then rest my case on the matter of People v. Mr. Chavis.

6. Tenacious D

I don't know where my old friend, Card, has been the last several months, but I'm glad to see him back.

Just saying.

7. kidbourbon

I'll raise your hard to a quite hard.

That one's either on Crompton for sucking or Clawson for either not recognizing said suckage over a month of practice, or not changing the gameplan when it became apparent that Crompton couldn't hit a corn field if he were parachuting in Iowa, or both.

8. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

Add the entire '05 campaign to the argument. We had one helluva d in '05 and went 5-6.

9. kidbourbon

That's a big 10-4.

10. Tenacious D

I'll agree that Chavis was "mostly adequate" during his time here.

But I also remember the Florida debacles of the 90's, our inability to stop a backup QB in the SECCG and with a NC berth on the line, the many, many miles of yardage he routinely gave up by playing scared on 3rd and long conversions, and the in numerous games where he went similarly ultra-conservative and either allowed a team to hang around, and some to win.

But perhaps I'm biased, and don't correctly recall his time here. I can admit that possibility.

11. kidbourbon

I don't think he's perfect. Criticism of his third down conservatism is both (locally) ubiquitous and entirely fair, but the bottom line and the more important point is that his defenses were good when the offenses were Rat Steak. If we're assigning blame for the demise of the program in the aughts, the name John Chavis better be preceded by a list of names longer than my....

Well, it better be a pretty long list.

12. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Don't take a tone with me.

13. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

A# one at that.

14. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Lateral move but makes sense ...
    Contract extension --- LSU didn't help itself w/ that joke of a raise
    Miles is on a short rope
    Recruiting --- LA's good but Tejas better
    Sumlins O
    for just a short list

15. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

The fact he habitually had his DBs 15 yards off of the line of scrimmage made me want to find the man and slap him in the back of the head.

He is a good to great DC. But after watching his defense for 10+ years, I wanted to get him and Fulmer out of here.

16. CardinalVol

You must have missed the entire second half. First half we played lights out, second half he set back in his predictable soft zone and let a 4th string QB march down the field at will.

17. CardinalVol

Thank Michigan, and my hatred of Chavis.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
  18. CardinalVol

Adequate is a good work to describe him.

19. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Recruiting didn't bother me as much as I'm baffled and frustrated (thrown many a thing, screamed, puled my hair, replaced broken furniture and repaired holes in walls) by Chief's third down play calling. Still, he's a helluva DC

20. kidbourbon

I'm just gonna restate for the record that we win that game with ease by simply running off-tackle every play.

And I'll also note that my reaction upon reading someone blame the D for the UCLA loss in '08 was one of the scrunched up forehead "huh?" variety. There are few better examples of a game where the blame for the loss lies squarely with the offense. I mean, four picks and you're blaming the D? Really?