Chavis to A&M

Discussion in 'Sports' started by NorthGaVol, Dec 30, 2014.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I refuse to call anyone great when they have a glaring deficiency that is obvious to many, and they refuse to fix it and instead staunchly defend it, which he did.

2. CardinalVol

Watch the second half.

After one of the most dominating performances of his tenure here in the first half in which he was aggressive and didn't give the UCLA QB time to even get a snap, watch him settle back into that soft zone and watch the same QB who threw four picks in the first half suddenly look like a Heisman candidate.

That game was lost because Hardesty didn't get 40 carries. But Chavis just automatically going to that damned prevent and letting an opponent nickel and dime their way back into it after totally dominating by being aggressive infuriates me all the more. Was just one example.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=282450026

Please note in the last ten minutes of the game he gave up two scoring drives of 70 and 80 yards. Standard Chavis.

3. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Who wants to bet Chavis does better than 5-7 and 6-6 his first two years?

4. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Unless the prevent silliness and unwillingness to pressure the QB was driven by HC types, Chavis blows. He's a LB coach. He has been blessed with mountains of talent and found ways to squander games late with his Mustang silliness.

I don't give a flying crap about your "solid" defense stats regarding the guy. If we needed a stop late, he found a way not to get it by being as conservative as humanly possible.

5. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

Chavis has definitely been lucky to have talent at his disposal, but I wouldn't say he's underachieved with it. Plenty of coaches have fielded crap D's with a lot of talent.

6. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

2006. The pass defense was abysmal.

7. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

then they underachieved too. Everything about Fulmer and Chavis late in Fulmer's tenure was obscenely conservative. The annoying part was that we had the talent to be obscenely aggressive.

8. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

He did strike me as more of a Jimmy's and Joe's rather than X's and O's guy.

9. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

had no ability to get after the QB and still refused to do it.

10. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

That's because as bpv pointed out, he's a position coach.

11. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

He's probably leaving LSU because he's pissed off his lazy ass had to do a little recrutin'.

12. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

That would make sense why Ed Orgeron's name was thrown out as a replacement. At least Ed has more value recruiting which would be scary at LSU.

13. CardinalVol

Was talking with a friend who was an Air Force grad after the game that year who was on the field and in the locker room post-game. The AF coaching staff was ecstatic with the defensive scheme he employed against them. If they could have picked the scheme for you to run against them, it would be the one he chose.

14. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

Is Randy Shannon just content being a linebackers coach at Arkansas or has his stock dropped as a DC candidate? That seems like a phone call I would make if I were searching for a DC, either LSU or South Carolina.

15. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Agree, his ego gets in the way but then too there is fielding the #1 D in this conference, eighth nationally this yr as well as being in the Top 15 the past four.

16. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Fulmers complacency more than anything. We were prime (w/ talent) to challenge and repeat in '99 and '00

17. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

That how I saw it.

18. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

same, especially their final drive

19. CardinalVol

Other than his family, I doubt there are many people in the great state of Tennessee who have watched more Chavis games than me. I married into a bunch of LSU fans and have watched just about every LSU game the last 10 years. They have become my (very distant) #2 team through osmosis.

The statistics are nice, but again, situationally it's the same thing we saw.

20. CardinalVol

Disagree on 00. Lost too much after 99. We weren't in shape to compete then.