College Basketball Coaching Rumor Mill

Discussion in 'Sports' started by JZ1124, Mar 13, 2012.

1. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

I will be posting rumors in the coaching community I receive from various people and websites... don't take it as gospel as these things almost by the minute.

- Things just got interesting regarding Wichita State head coach Gregg Marshall.

All season long, we've heard that should Darrin Horn get let go at South Carolina that Marshall would be the school's top target.

With the news breaking that Horn is out, is this still the case for Marshall, who was born in South Carolina?

At this point, it's too early to tell. We assume that he'll be the overwhelming front-runner to land this gig but at the same time, one source tells us that Marshall is happy in Wichita and that he'll never leave.

Stay tuned.

- We also continue to hear rumblings at Arizona State and Virginia Tech

- For the second year in a row, we're hearing rumor after rumor about Mick Cronin wanting to move on from his current gig at Cincinnati. Because of this, we expect his name to pop up quite a bit over the next few weeks with any open BCS jobs.

This makes sense considering the current landscape of the Big East's uncertainty and conference realignment.

- Just just had a phone conversation that pointed out the following men as potential candidates to be his replacement...

--- Kansas assistant coach Danny Manning
    --- Oral Roberts head coach Scott Sutton
    --- North Texas head coach Johnny Jones
    --- Murray State head coach Steve Prohm

- We're hearing that Kansas State head coach Frank Martin and Alabama head coach Anthony Grant have already been contacted by Illinois. Stay tuned. There were plenty of rumors last year that Anthony Grant does not love it at Alabama.

- We're hearing that Bruce Pearl has expressed some heavy interest in the Nebraska job...

- Colorado State head coach Tim Miles' name keeps getting mentioned with the Minnesota job, should Tubby Smith not return for one reason or another.

- We're hearing an interesting name that keeps popping up around the Nebraska job...
    It's none other than Georgia head coach Mark Fox. Georgia enters tonight's SEC Tournament game against Vanderbilt with a 15-16 record.
    Just passing it along...But Fox is the hot name surrounding this job right now. Stay tuned.

- Based off of our conversations, former Butler/Iowa head coach Todd Lickliter seems to be the overwhelming front-runner to land the Miami (OH) job right now...

2. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Mike Thomas, the current Illinois AD, hired Cronin at UC.

3. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

Rhode Island is also very interested in Wagner's Dan Hurley. They have already received permission to speak with him as well. I'm a big fan of the Hurley family and Dan (along with his more famous brother Bobby who is an assistant) in only their second year went 25-5 at Wagner.

As a side note I'm driving up to Cincy next week to hear Bob Hurley of St Anthony speak which I am really jacked up about.

4. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

Why don't you like Cronin? I was definitely impressed with how they played in the Big East tourney. Have a buddy that played for him at Murray that loves him, but don't know much about him other than that. I didn't really keep up with the xavier brawl earlier this year.

5. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Pearl pushing for a gig with two years of show cause remaining? He doesn't play around.

6. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I was wondering what Pearl is thinking, as well. Is he going to coach via teleconference for 2 years? And for free?

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I don't know much about Cronin, but how he handled the brawl was excellent. Every coach at every level should take pointers.

He took an ugly situation and took full ownership of it.

8. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Cronin has done a real good job of forgetting who gave him the shot that allowed him to get in a position to be a college head coach. Instead, he chooses to parade around with his head up Rick Pitino's ass. I'll leave at that.

9. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Huggins?

10. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

- Things are moving quickly at the University of Rhode Island - in fact, this may be the quickest search that we see all year. AD Thorr Bjorn has already scheduled preliminary interviews with at least three candidates (and a fourth on the way). Our sources tell us that Wagner head coach Danny Hurley will be the first one up - he will meet with URI representatives on Wednesday at a location not on the URI campus. After Hurley, former URI and BC head coach Al Skinner and current Kansas assistant Joe Dooley will have their turns. Dooley did not make my original list, but he seems to have shot to the top of the list pretty quickly here. Also, look for LIU head coach Jim Ferry to be the fourth interview

11. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

- I also keep hearing Rob Jeter’s name mentioned at Nebraska. The Wisconsin-Milwaukee head coach has some very strong ties to AD Tom Osborne through Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan and Barry Alvarez. Jeter’s squad went 20-14 this past season and earned a CBI berth. In his eight seasons at Milwaukee, he is 121-103.

- Apparently the TCU head coach is making a strong push for the Rhode Island gig, and the interest appears to be mutual. As I said last night, this search is moving quickly and is definitely a very fluid situation.

12. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

Mike Davis out at UAB... Dan Hurley looking more and more likely at Rhode Island.

13. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Bingo.

14. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I liked what he said but I'm not sure Yates should have ever played another game in a college jersey after that.

15. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

What happened between Cronin and Huggins?

16. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

He gives no respect to a guy that got him started and has a lovefest with a guy that just wanted a good assisstant.

17. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I got that part. Is there an example of something Cronin did? I must have missed all this.

18. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

College of Charleston head coach Bobby Cremins has scheduled a press conference for 3:15 this afternoon. The official word is that he will announce his plans for the future - whether he will retire or not. The unofficial word is that he will indeed retire and current interim head coach Mark Byington will assume to head coaching role on a full-time basis. I've also heard the Cremins will remain involved as an adviser to the program. More to come after the presser.

- Early names for Miss St

Kermit Davis, MTSU
    Larry Eustachy, Southern Miss
    Sean Woods, Head Coach Mississippi Valley State
    Johnny Jones, Head Coach North Texas
    Tom Herrion, Head Coach Marshall

19. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

- It sounds like Shaka Smart has become the top target at Illinois. According to multiple sources, AD Mike Thomas is making a hard push to land Smart quickly. Smart was an assistant at Akron when Thomas was the AD there. Word is Illinois could offer between $2.2 and $2.5 million as part of a multi-year package.

- The Frank Martin to South Carolina rumors are really heating up. According to sources, Martin may have already been in contact with USC officials. South Carolina native Gregg Marshall was believed to be the #1 target, but he may have priced himself out of the game. Marshall reportedly wants a 7-year $2.5 million deal.

- Keep an eye on the Ole Miss situation. There have been grumblings that head coach Andy Kennedy is feeling some heat, and may bolt for his alma mater UAB. Kennedy played at UAB for Gene Bartow. It sounds like UAB will make a hard push for him if he becomes available.

20. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Marshall must not that interested in going to Columbia if he's demanding that kind of salary. I'd go with Martin if he'd take less money all day every day.