Cordarrelle Patterson

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by justingroves, Sep 16, 2013.

1. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Belichick said he was shocked by the quality of the UT linemen, especially as a group.

2. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Belichick is obviously a poor judge of talent...

3. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

The line had talent. However, 3 years worth of a scheme where their first steps were punch/retreat/gather (pass pro blocking) put them in a mindset of absorbing blows rather than delivering them. Their final year was more of the same, a passive zone blocking scheme. imho, of course.

4. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Na dude. Judging OL talent is subjective, just like music and books. Our linemen suck.

The Beatles suck too.

5. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Indy is objectively mad at KidB. And it's objectively just so cute.

6. kidbourbon

I agree. That line was soft.

7. kidbourbon

I think he said this:

Did he say something more?

8. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

That last piece says more about UT coaching and addresses the overratedness of our line.

9. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

There are measures for line play.

10. kidbourbon

There are. They're less than awesome imo.

11. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

their measure as a group while be coached by the garbage at UT was awful. Their individual measures as they pertain to being a talented / NFL capable linemen are pretty good. Belichick's tone was one of utter shock that they sucked as badly as they did and that they basically pass blocked on every play for years.

12. kidbourbon

What I meant was that the metrics used to judge whether a given offensive line is good or not, are far from perfect, and might be so imperfect that they're basically meaningless.

I may have misunderstood what you meant by "there are measure for line play".

13. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

I think we understood one another. I was just making the point to Indy that there is no objective criteria for music, books and art while there is an objective starting point on a line or lineman.

14. kidbourbon

Gotcha