Corporate Religion

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by JayVols, Mar 26, 2014.

1. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

That is awesome. Pure brilliance. Thank you.

2. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Indy missionary

3. OrangeEmpire

Absolutely, their corporate offices in Cincinnati are actually a Satanic Temple.

4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Disappointed I missed the P&G thing growing up.

5. NorrisAlan

Back in 1984 it was P&G and Prince were pretty big in my Southern Baptist Church. Prince was about as satanic as they came. Oh, and D&D.

EDIT:

Remember later in my tenure there, shortly before I left in disgust, when a guy showed up, saying that Strawberry Shortcake was the devil as it put kids into a magical world full of evil and tempting rituals. BUT! He sold Sally Church Goer dolls.

Not lying (cept the name, cannot remember what he called them).

6. OrangeEmpire

No, you're not.

7. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

Well Jay, even you have to admit that the article is pretty slanted and far from being non-partisan.

8. OrangeEmpire

Kiss & AC DC

9. RevBubbaFlavel

RevBubbaFlavel Contributor

The Conestoga Wood case dealt more with 1st Amendment arguments while the Hobby Lobby case dealt more with Religious Freedom Act arguments.

The latter case in the 8th Circuit held that a corporation is a "person exercising religion" within the meaning of the Act. Once you got through that the rest was rather simple for Hobby Lobby to win.

The 3rd Circuit found that there was no evidence of a for-profit corporation exercising religion and therefore that they cannot exercise religion.

That is probably the issue that will decide the case.

10. NorrisAlan

Oh lord, the "Kids In Satan's Service" and "Anti Christ/Devil's Child" shit being thrown around the halls in Sunday School was ludicrous.

11. CardinalVol

I actually was fortunate to grow up having "normal" and at least seminary taught pastors, even in a country church. The one there from 88-02 was very anti-drinking, but that was really about it.

12. OrangeEmpire

Imagine if they knew old Gene is a Jew

13. OrangeEmpire

These folks were seminary taught

14. NorrisAlan

"Mommy, can I listen to KISS?"

"No, dear, their bassist killed Jesus."

15. CardinalVol

Well, I got nothing then.

I only had one memorable episode that I can recall, and that was on a church trip during Woodstock 94. We were watching it in one of our rooms and she came in, turned it off, and lectured us on watching that.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

What you think is "normal" may actually be the minority. And it has nothing to do with being seminary taught or not. and the weirdness isn't even close to "no drinking/smoking/vices" level.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

Any of you guys ever go to the Tennessee Christian Teen Convention in Gatlinburg? Horror. The horror.

18. CardinalVol

Oh, I'm well aware of what is said/taught in churches, especially the more rural and older in age of the average congregant. Well-aware.

19. CardinalVol

Was that over new year's?

20. OrangeEmpire

Now that I'm away, central Kentucky Indy baptists are unique. They honestly believe their collection of churches are the literal bride of Christ.