COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

yeah it’s a miracle he’s lasted as long as he did and the family feels they finally has some hope (slim but some hope) and they can’t get in because people are tards

JayVols likes this.
  2. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

While breakthrough cases carry similar viral loads to the unvaccinated, the viral load on breakthrough infections diminish much more quickly than in unvaccinated from what I understand. That results in less opportunity to spread the virus.

The vaccines are less effective against the Delta variant; however, the mRNA vaccines still have an efficacy of 88% vs Delta as compared to 95% effectiveness against the Alpha strain, according to the New England Journal of Medicine.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejmoa2108891

Here's the bottom line: The mRNA vaccines are still highly effective against Delta infections. They are highly effective in preventing serious illness & death when the occasional breakthrough case happens. The most important thing is to prevent infections. Fewer infections = fewer opportunities for mutations that could completely evade vaccines. That's the nightmare scenario that's a bigger world of shit than we've ever been in with this thing.

So, please everyone get vaccinated & wear a mask so the nightmare doesn't become reality.

Poppa T and utvol0427 like this.
  3. JayVols

That is a damn shame. Hope he gets the treatment soon.

It didn't have to be this way.

droski likes this.
  4. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

5. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

And this is horrible. And so unnecessary.

JayVols likes this.
  6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i don’t blame the hospital for delaying treatment for an 80 year old guy who is going for a lottery ticket odds treatment during a pandemic, but I do blame the shitheads who could have prevented taking his place

7. JayVols

Same. I really hate feeling that way. It's not normally who I am, but at some point enough is enough. Selfishness & willful ignorance are a dangerous combination, and we're eat up with it right now.

8. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Indy - That is his choice and has nothing to do with the unvaccinated.

JayVols likes this.
  9. JayVols

Up to 3 mothers of newborns who have died of COVID in the last week & a half from just 1 hospital in my podunk part of the world. 2 in their 20s & 1 in the early 30s. And those are the only ones I know about.

10. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Lol - I'm still waiting on the solid answer to the question I asked about the number preventable deaths that have resulted directly from hospitals being too full with unvaccinated covid patients to take the patients with non covid emergencies.

I've been told a simple google search can provide that solid answer, but I haven't found it and no one seems interested in posting it for me, so I can't help but wonder.

11. JayVols

Preach it, brother droski.

droski likes this.
  12. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

What number is too many? 1, 100, 1000. What would be the number that makes it important to you?

Poppa T, utvol0427 and JayVols like this.
  13. JayVols

I think there's another possible, maybe even likely, explanation.

As float said, you don't seem very interested in accepting solid answers. As a result, perhaps folks aren't interested in engaging in an effort of futility.

14. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

The answer is 1.

SetVol13, utvol0427 and JayVols like this.
  15. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

There's no personal choice involved with doctors working extra long hours?

The Garth Brooks one is funny. How many thousand people were at Neyland this past Saturday? Garth was scheduled to play in the stadiums where both the Patriots and Ravens play. Are they not allowing fans? Seems like his choice, and it doesn't take much digging to find rumblings that ticket sales were low after he required that all people who come be vaccinated.

The EU travel stuff is a direct link - I'll give you that. I think we will survive, though.

16. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Or, you don't have a number and are working off anecdotal evidence, entirely.

17. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

No, it's not.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

also, note that needing that number means preventing it from happening is not even worth consideration. As if we can go back in time or just flip a switch once we hit whatever the number that's too high is.

JayVols likes this.
  19. IP

IP Super Moderator

a number 2 guy, makes sense.

JayVols likes this.
  20. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

That's a great question. I don't know if I have an answer for you. I think it would have to be something statistically significant to warrant forcing millions of people to get a vaccine they don't want.

What number is too many, in your mind?