COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Then Vols53 is right, and we can't clear it. If the sum total of immunity, natural or artificial is above the 93% or whatever threshold, we'll never clear the thing.

Even spanish flu eventually went away, and mostly never came back.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

It is also finding reservoirs in the deer population, and probably other mammal populations too.

3. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Good news is last I looked, there were 400+ icu beds available in and around nashville with most at a much lower number than previous. Icus usually run 80-90% full under normal circumstances.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

That doesn't make sense. Hundreds of millions of Americans have gotten the vaccine, and it is supposed to be really dangerous and bad. Why are there so many empty beds? They should be even fuller than usual.

5. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

We will clear it but basically everyone is going to get it, and it will just become another cold.

6. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

That's always been the case. Until it runs its course. Never considered being able to stop it

7. fl0at_

I don't view a cold as something that we clear, though. A rare strain of the flu, that's something that we clear. But the cold is not something we clear, so I'm not sure what you mean.

8. fl0at_

We've never had a vaccine fail when sufficient numbers are vaccinated. The problem is that we're not going to get sufficient numbers of vaccinated here (globally, or US), so it can only die out naturally. Except it isn't doing that, either.

9. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

It’s just going to become a seasonal cold. It will become more and more seasonal and deaths and hospitalization will continue to fall.

Rare flu viruses generally speaking aren’t anywhere near this contagious and have a lot of competition with other flu viruses.

10. fl0at_

Ok, then this means we'll never clear it, and it'll never run its course. It'll be with us forever.

I'm not on board with the seasonal nature yet, because, it's in every season. I don't think it has the right characteristics to be a common cold like virus, in that it mutates too slow. But it is highly contagious.

11. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I think there’s evidence that it is doing that as if you’re a true symptomatic case reinfection is way more rare than just vaccinated from the data.

I almost think it’d be better to look at the current vaccines available as more of a prophylactic treatment than a traditional vaccine. Especially since the delta strain.

HCKevinSteele likes this.
  12. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I think it’s pretty clear it’s seasonal but due to it being new it remains present even during off season due to everyone not being exposed yet and it’s so contagious but the spread is lower.

we still get flu and regular colds out of season too. They’re just not common to the population being more exposed to them. This how I’ve seen other epidemiologist explain it.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Traditional vaccines are prophylactic. This vaccine is prophylactic.

14. fl0at_

I'm fine with treating a vaccine as a prophylactic, that's done all the time, especially with respiratory vaccines. But a vaccine has never failed when sufficient numbers are vaccinated, either. There is no reason to think that this one would be different, only that people failed it, not it us.

15. fl0at_

The flu finds a reservoir in other places, and then comes on strong when we flee indoors. Our worst peak right now, so far, was during fall. I don't see winter being worse, but I am very much opposed to this becoming a fall season bug, that is then followed by a winter flu bug.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Getting a booster on Sunday. Doctor said no reason not to, since I am such a stud.

17. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

this is more of a passive immunity vaccine on protection from being infected. Unfortunately it’s short lived.

the good news is that it gives enough of a response to help the severity of illness.

18. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

yeah I don’t think it will deactivate the flu virus like it did last year so I expect we’ll see more flu.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/prophylactic

20. fl0at_

Yea, I got kind of a "Meh, do, don't, do you dude." So, I'll probably end up getting boosted at some point.

That would be, for me, this year: 1 COVID, 1 COVID, 1 FLU, 1 TDAP, 1 COVID

I'm gonna be like that Star Trek movie where I'm just followed around getting shot up with stuff.