Dan Mullen

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by NEW COACH, Sep 19, 2017.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Would be impossible to know until it was attempted. I think he could. Why not?

I'm thinking rock bottom expectations are generation of tremendous buzz and recruiting hype plus dominating the crap in our division with at least semi-regular wins over our non-Bama west opponent. I think that's enough to save the program. Upside is tremendous and could spur a new golden age. I say do it.

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

no question he'd recruit at a very high level. no question UT would immediately be a top 10 program and win a lot of games. I'm not sure or understand why he'd be any more likely to beat saban than Kelly though. if anything saban's biggest problem over the years has been going against Kelly's style of offense with a running qb. rather than pro style which saban has dominated the shit out of since his last loss to lsu.

3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I'd say either of those guys being hired brings out a groan from Saban's staff because they know he's about to up the ante, be an even bigger demanding asshole, and trim any fat from his staff even that much quicker.

4. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

I think he could too, I just don't think he's guaranteed to. Kelly is a sure thing IMO

5. TangoUniform

TangoUniform Contributor

I think stoops is just gonna wait for florida to open.

...but would be cool if he went to UT and kept shoop as DC...

the stoops and shoop show...

...and then if it goes south, the poops and poop show....

yeah, ok.. i'll get back to my real life job now.

6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I'd probably rather have Gruden, but I'd go nuts for Kelly, too. I really don't want Stoops and although he'd be a tremendous upgrade I don't think he'd be all that dominant unless he's experienced some incredible revitalization in his year off.

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I'm sure he'd have UT competing for the SEC title. I'm not sure he'd be winning SEC titles though.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

My only problem with him is he's a stupid cheater.

I do think his offense has been imitated enough that it's no longer a wrecking ball

9. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

If we get to that point, I will be in a kind of "I don't ****ing care" sorry of drunken happiness.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Defenses are different in the sec. They are faster.

Offenses are better in the Pac 12, though.

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I get that argument. guy wrote a personal handwritten note admitting he cheated. bizzare.

it wasn't going to work in the nfl because nfl officials won't run to set the ball like they will in the ncaa. I once saw a stat that teams had an extra 10 seconds in the nfl per snap than they had in the ncaa against Kelly. that being said, his offenses weren't terrible. yeah it's not as innovative as it used to be, but Oregon was still putting up 40+ a game 3 years after he left against good defenses. the system works and he knows how to innovate. you shouldn't underestimate the culture change either. guy is a master motivator at the college level.

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

well it's not as though pete had shitty offensive coordinators or talent. the better size and speed matters, but chip can without the score being 45-42. he did it quite often. he's not just an offensive guy. his special teams were great, his defenses were good (at times great), his S&C was elite, his in game decision making is great, etc. he'll adapt to the sec. he's a smart guy.

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I have no doubt he's going to win big wherever he goes

14. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

To the OP: heck no

15. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

We still only play four decent defenses in any given year

16. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Lyle gets it.

17. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Alright. Outside of Kelly, Stoops, and Gruden, who ya gon git?

18. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Patterson or Mullen for me

19. Volsfan31

Volsfan31 Member

I would not be upset with Mullen.

20. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Patterson would be good.