DeBord de Gone

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by **TDCVOL**, Jan 3, 2017.

1. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Dobbs was the leading rusher. Ha.

2. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

An offense averaging 36 ppg doesn't scream dumpster fire to me. It's not perfect nor do I particularly care for the style but I'm not going to sit here and say it's complete shit either.

3. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

95th in total defense with 449 YPG given up. 72nd in passing yards allowed with 231 ypg allowed. 104th in rushing defense with 218 ypg allowed. 68th in scoring defense with 28.8 ppg allowed.

Out of 128 possible teams.

4. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I didn't call it a dumpster fire. I said it was dumb in design, and I listed several reasons why I thought so. I think those numbers show that it isn't very effective, either, given the talent on that side of the ball.

Our strengths, if you can call them that, seem to be in passing accuracy, of all things, kick returns, and recovering fumbles, which undoubtedly make that ppg number (24th in the country) look a little better than it should, too.

5. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

That's my point. The offense was efficient and did it's part this year. If I were picking which side of the ball the Vols were inconsistent on this year it's definitely the defensive side.

6. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

I know you didn't...I just feel like in general folks are quick to point at the offense to find fault. I feel like the defense was a much bigger issue this past year.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

How about time of possession?

8. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I think this hurt the defense as well. Situational 3 and outs gassed our defense at times, and with minimal time taken off the clock.

9. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

The offense was as solid talent-wise as it's been in a long, long time, but still was stonewalled against a bad South Carolina defense, shut down by Vanderbilt, pretty well controlled by Appalachian State, and limited by Ohio. With the best return guys in the game setting up field position and experienced talent at about every spot there's no reason they shouldn't have put points on everyone. The explosions of points and yards that would occur intermittently in games just highlighted how poorly managed the many, many previous quick three and out drives were.

10. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

He was so wasted. I'm not saying he'd been the greatest QB ever, but man he should have been so much better.

11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Juniors and seniors surround one of the most statistically productive QBs in history along with the #3 (that right?) yardage RB in history and we end up losing to Vandy and South Carolina to tie with Kentucky in the division standings. Whoo!

12. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

QB coach too

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think he saved Jones from being gone after 3 seasons

14. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Butch better be glad Dobbs was a total company man too

15. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

Jones on the OC search: "You can’t rush. We’re going to be very, very patient….it’s a very critical hire"

Will be hilarious when it's Azzani.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Critical.

17. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Just imagine how bad this team would have been if it was Dobbs that transferred instead of Ferguson. Not that Ferguson was terrible or anything but a gunslinger with no coaching and not anywhere near the brain capacity, and couldn't escape like Dobbs behind this garbage line. But he would have likely had his senior year with a different coach.

18. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I agree. I am not in the Indy camp on this.

19. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Yes. Defense was a dumpster fire. Some of that can be attributed to injury, but it sucked.

20. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

He doesn't want to get Fulmered. Hell, even Fulmer didn't want to get Fulmered.