POLITICS Democratic Nominee 2020 Lollapalooza

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by Unimane, Feb 6, 2019.

?

Who will win the Democratic nomination for president in 2020?

1. Biden, J

42.1%
  2. Booker, C

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Buttigieg, P

15.8%
  4. Castro, J

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Clinton, H

15.8%
  6. Harris, K

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Klobuchar, A

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Sanders, B

10.5%
  9. Warren, E

15.8%
  10. Yang, A

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I was addressing what IP posted. They’re the one talking about him just being another entitled white guy out of touch.

I hadn’t heard anyone call him Mayo Pete till he posted that link.

That’s what happens with tribalism. The tribes go to war and that’s what we’re seeing out of the left.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

As a white male with some credentials, I just don't think this is on the mark. It isn't about how he sounds or looks cited in that opinion article. It was the choices he makes juxtaposed with what he says.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

I also haven't heard "Mayo Pete," and think it is a nasty remark. No human being should be associated with mayonnaise.

4. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

We can agree on that for sure.

5. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

No, not fake. Perhaps legitimize his nationalism is a clearer, me accurate description, but not fake news ( God, I hate that stupid [uck fay]ing term).

In any event, Owens spews exactly the same type of invective you purport to hate in Trump critics, actually worse.

She's of the Milo Yiannapolis, Mike Cernovich variety, utter leeches on the discourse of American politics.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

While not my preferred choice, I have no deep objection to Pete. So I am interested to hear from those who do, to understand their point of view. I think his detractors need to be careful not to paint him into a corner. He may be more amenable to their wishes than they realize. Today in Nashua he just addressed the "criticism" (an unfair one, very wealthy people are Americans too) that he had many very wealthy donors/backers. He said that he appreciates all his supporters, and will of course expect that they will pay their fair share of taxes. Now, a cynic can say that could mean anything. To me, it is very different from a position where changes in the tax structure are off the table. I think some want their candidate or nothing, but don't appreciate that all of these candidates are not necessarily who we perceive or think them to be anyway. And the platform is not 100% the candidate's.

7. Unimane

He can be an entitled white guy, have people not like him for it and still not mean it's about blaming smart white men for all the problems.

I understand clearly the type of person they are describing, while not sure it really fits with Buttigieg.

8. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

She didnt praise hitler as you posted. Not close to being true

9. Unimane

She said his problem was trying to be a globalist. Regardless, as I noted, she's everything you say you hate in Trump critics, yet you like her. Why?

10. Ssmiff

Because people who accuse her of praising Hitler, dont.

11. Unimane

Huh? So, basically, you are saying you're being hypocritical by supporting her style while consistently, and endlessly, complaining about those who do the same for the left?

Like I said, I think you have a severe blind spot for things you don't agree with, which is not terrible, since it can be hard not to do so. However, you make significant hay about the awful behavior and actions, as well as discourse, of those whom you disagree.

12. Ssmiff

"She praised hitler".
    Why tf would I not try to be as far away as possible. That's not having an issue with another opinion. Not my problem you are immune to so much bs you lose track of it.
    So the discourse after I brought her up has been
    -that scares me
    -not surprising
    -she praised Hitler
    Yet you are surprised I would want to be as far opposite of that brilliance as possible?

13. Unimane

Because you are trying to hang on to this as if it were the only remark on the whole matter. If it's the phrasing you object to, I clarified it for you. You complain about people not wanting to discuss her, yet you offer nothing to discuss. Forget about the Hitler comment or discuss it, whatever. But, don't fail to do something you adjust others of not doing.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
  14. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

I read this earlier and have seen the same take previously. While this is a pretty blatant hate piece only listing what the author perceives as negative attributes with a healthy dose of conspiracy theory, I understand the main point. He's too polished for their liking, almost constructed. I get that. They leave out the other main reason they hate him - he's not far enough left. They eschew pragmatism in favor of revolution. Pete is not that candidate.

As a going on 50 year old I obviously have a different perspective and cannot speak personally to the millennial experience. What I can say I have seen folks like Pete many times before and often up close. Some folks don't like his type because they seem constructed and often don't emote enough, some folks hate them because their achievement feeds their own inferiority complex.

As a gay man I can tell you Pete screams "Best Little Boy in the World" to me. It's a real thing and my brother and I are examples though to a much lesser extent than someone like Pete.

15. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

BTW, Bernie is going to win NH, but Pete is drawing massive crowds there today (allegedly the largest of any candidate this cycle). Hoping he gets a strong second.

16. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Only way he could beat Trump is if he is allowed to continue cheating.

He's the shitty mayor of South Bend.

Sickle cell anemia has a higher approval from black voters than he does.

17. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Buttigieg kinda reminds me of Leslie Knope. I kind of liked Leslie Knope.

gcbvol likes this.
  18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I don’t have a major objection to him but agree with the part of the article about him moulding his stance/viewpoint to fit the room he is in. He started out much more progressive until he realized he could benefit significantly more from running on a more moderate platform.

He also does remind me of a lot the try hard kids that did student government in college and enjoyed the power it gave them a little too much.

19. Ssmiff

I've never seen a politician who didnt talk to everybody in the room like he was on their side.

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Warren running her campaign pandering
    to the margins of society is an interesting strategy