Do you play a musical instrument?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Oldvol75, Mar 15, 2013.

Tags:
  1. IMISSTHEBOWLBROS

IMISSTHEBOWLBROS Contributor

No need I quit while I was in prison! Ha

2. IMISSTHEBOWLBROS

IMISSTHEBOWLBROS Contributor

A couple of Hundred Times... Not according to Tenny D?? But no we won't judge!

3. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Right now I've got an old Fender acoustic that was my first guitar and an Ovation acoustic-electric. I'm hoping to invest in a new acoustic-electric before too long, a Martin or a Gibson maybe.

4. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I'm a Guitar Hero legend. Would love to learn the real thing.

5. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I am a big Alvarez fan.

6. PoochPunt3rdDown

PoochPunt3rdDown Troll Guru

Aaaaaaaahhhhh, I'm jealous. I used to have an Ovation. Such a pure tone. What kind of music do you play?

7. JohnnyQuickkick

I usually play it @ church. Most of the music we do has kinda the U2/Coldplay aesthetic I guess. . I do some homemade recording too, whatever pops in my head, original or covers. I don't use the Ovation much for that. It is outstanding plugged in but pretty terrible acoustically, but that's kinda the point I guess. When I record stuff I just like the mic'd acoustic sound better.

8. JohnnyQuickkick

I also have an American strat and a Gibson SG for the rock n roll portion of the show.

9. PoochPunt3rdDown

I just bought a used Fender classical for a great price and I love, love, love, love, love it. Played one of my originals on it a moment ago and I'm in love. Thank you God for music. I feel like I have a new creative lease on life.

10. PoochPunt3rdDown

Just played Blackbird and a few jazz progressions. A whole new ballgame for me. The neck is fat as hell but the barre chords are so easy. Gawd I'm loving this....

11. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

I did play guitar, my last one was a Washburn D-20. Parkinson's has prevented me from continuing, but I have found I can play the mountain lap dulcimer fairly well, and play it in a string band. Also play washboard and cajon.

12. PoochPunt3rdDown

Damn dude. I didn't know you had Parkinsons. I'm impressed that you're still out the owning it, though. You know already, but I saw you sing and thoroughly enjoyed it. The dulcimer is one of my favorite instruments. That's the sound of the mountains, in my heart.

13. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Used to goof on a few percussion instruments, all kind of drums - mainly tenor and tympani, was on the way to learning guitar at one point before life got in the way. I want to pick it back up to learn.

14. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

That's kind of what happened with me. I finally was able to retire at 58 and started singing seriously. Wish I had stated sooner. Please go for it.

15. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Is teaching oneself to play the guitar a difficult task?

16. PoochPunt3rdDown

Not at all. But, you have to be willing to put the practice time in on the front end unless you're just preternaturally gifted.

17. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

What is the best method for doing so? Do I need to buy a book?

18. PoochPunt3rdDown

I bought a poster that had over 100 chords on it. Used to just grab my guitar and play 'em.

19. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

How long did it take you to get to where you could at least play a little?

20. PoochPunt3rdDown

A few days. I was composing songs after a few weeks of playing.