Driverless Trucks Imminent, 1% of US jobs gone

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Apr 26, 2016.

1. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Which explains GMs investment in Lyft.

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Easy peasy. Just have to have special refueling stations.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Surely you have more imagination than this.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

can you imagine how terrible the average driver is going to be in 30 years if they only have to drive in emergencies or for pleasure?

5. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

The question will be if the government will even let you drive then if the technology can end the need too.

6. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

There would be widespread resistance to people not being able to drive if any government move to eliminate it were to come too soon. It's probably a generation away at least. We are still a nation of auto enthusiasts.

7. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

You misunderstand. I really want to see how they solve this problem.

8. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I know, I want to see it.

9. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Cameras and Cartesian robots with some standard design requirements would be my guess, but there are a bunch of ways to get at this problem.

10. MWR

MWR Contributor

From what I've seen of the government, if they can control your travel or driving, they will find another way to tax it even more - if they can.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Not saying it will go away completely. It will be more of a luxury item, though. Like a boat is now.

12. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

This is what happens when you raise minimum wage.

13. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Bring back full service stations. Have a little thing on the truck the attendant scans, automatically bills the trucking company and the guy fills up the truck.

14. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Eventually it will be outlawed to protect you.

15. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Won't need an attendant. A robot with a laser scanner and camera will do a far better job, always available and never cheats the owner or the trucking company.

16. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Better yet, we need to contract it out to an industry leader that can be absolutely trusted to have fair dealings. Somebody like Pilot.

17. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I drove through New Jersey a couple of years ago, I didn't know they had to pump your gas. The guy walked up to me and I was like, who the **** are you. He says what do you need. I was like, I need you to get the **** out of here. He walks back to the back of my wife's truck and says, ok, let me know when you're ready. A lady pulled up to the next pump and cracked the window just enough to stick her credit card out, he took it and pumped her gas. I was like, stupid Yankees can't even pump their own gas.

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

last time I was in Oregon they didn't allow anything but full service. ridiculous. i haven't seen a full service station in LA in at least a decade.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  19. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

The little town I lived in when in Massachusetts was full-service only. Just that town.

20. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

The Pride of Middlesborough

[​IMG]