Elizabeth Warren's 11 Commandments of Progressivism

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by VolDad, Jul 18, 2014.

1. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

Back in the day, I'd pick up hay for $2 and hour and would be happy.

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I am not advocating a 15 dollar minimum wage, as that is asinine. But if anything, it would just expedite these jobs being automated, as it is coming anyway.

3. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Been there. Done that. Except I did make $2.50.

4. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

There was a time when $4/hr was asinine.

Then, $5.25.

Then $6.00.

Do the low / middle classes seem to be doing better or worse, as the minimum wage is increased?

How about unemployment? Is that up or down?

What about new jobs - any new jobs - are there more or less?

Its easy to convince people to "make more money" in much the same way that someone thirsting to death can be convinced to drink turpentine. And the Democrats just keep encouraging chugging contests.

5. MWR

MWR Contributor

I happen to own a small business. Here's a simple truth -from the real world. If I were to be forced to pay $15.00 per hour wages, all of my workers would be looking for other jobs.

6. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

And the living/minimum wage debate is no more complicated, than this.

7. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I think any increase in the minimum wage at this time is asinine. In fact, it probably needs to flat line for quite a while. The costs will just get passed on, then 15 bucks an hour will not be enough, and raise it to 25.

I hate economics with a passion, yet it is 90% of what drives politics. I honestly don't understand economics, or how you can have a working theory of it much less give out a Nobel Prize for it. It is, in my eyes, completely psychological in its workings, and predicting human behavior is not always possible.

8. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I remember my first job at Food City, making $5.25 bagging groceries. I then got my first raise to -- drum roll please -- $5.37 an hour! You would have thought I won the lottery. Ladies loved the new jeans I bought at Penny's with that raise too.

9. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Am sure the ROI is well worth the cost of the department.

10. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I worked a minimum wage job at $4.25 an hour in a factory for two summers in high school. The following two summers, I caught on at a plant with a temp service making $5 an hour. The following summer, the rate had been raised to $6.

I bought name brand beer one weekend that $6 summer.

11. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I'm sure the new EPA regulations on power plants are really going to help the poor.

12. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

You're not thinking long term

;-)

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

THe minimum wage, among many other economic topics, has been studied ad nauseam. we know exactly what a minimum wage increase will do and won't do.

14. Oldvol75

You were a high roller!

15. JayVols

I worked for glass company (#2 glass producer in the world, I think) during the summers while in college making 75% of full-time wages. I made $7.35/hr plus shift bonuses of $0.15 for 3-11 & $0.25 for 11-7. I got time & a half for Sundays & double time for Memorial Day & the 4th. That was 1990-1994. I worked right up to the day I started teaching in '94. I also volunteered for some overtime & was forced into overtime often at a rate of time & a half. That money was what I lived off of the entire school year, and I lived well. I long for the days that I could live an entire year off of $6k-$8k.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

AFG?

17. JayVols

Winner winner chicken dinner.

Greenland Plant not Blue Ridge. Greenland makes a bunch of glass, flat glass. Blue Ridge at the time did textured & wire reinforced glass if not mistaken.

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

is this why you hate corporate america?

19. JayVols

No. It was a great gig for a college student. The largest regional employer, by far, and Fortune 500 company only paid $4-$5/hr for college help. Remember, we're talking early half of the 1990s dollars here. I felt like a king. Worked my ass off, but I feel I was treated & paid fairly. Of course, it's a union plant...

Dros, I really don't hate Corporate America. I hope you really do realize that, but the reason I feel like I do is because I've lived the blue collar life myself & through my dad. I don't hate management. I actually wish workers & management would work closer together to reap mutually beneficial rewards. I don't like the combative nature from either side. All it does is hurt everyone. All I've ever wanted was honesty pay for honest work for all. That and to not uproot your company & go overseas for a million or two more. I'm not the rabid unionist you & Tenny think I am just like I know that you two aren't the soulless money grubbers you're portrayed as. We're all good folks, imo. We just might differ a little on how we see things, and it's not as much as each of us think I'd imagine. I do think you'll have a more productive work force if they have a little, not all, say in their jobs.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  20. Oldvol75

I'm still looking for a George Jetson type job. One hour a week pushing a button.