Elon Musk is in “Bonkersland”?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, May 25, 2018.

1. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

For those specs it's one of the cheaper trucks, but I agree.

2. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

If I could have an electric truck, the size of a king cab Nissan hardbody, that towed 7500, weighed less than 3500 lbs, and got 200 miles of range, I think that would be my perfect daily driver.

3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I think more people are open to the idea of electric vehicles than ever before and it keeps increasing. I think a majority of those people are still not fully satisfied of the reliability of electric yet. It's going to become better and better though and will eventually prove equivalent to that of the ICE engine.

It just seems common sense to me to continue to dig into solar energy and how we can continue to improve to harvest and store it.

4. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

The 200 mile range barrier has really opened the market to people now. Those ones that came out in the 70s with a 30 mile range were never ever going to work.

5. CardinalVol

It's why Tesla is so appealing. Their cars will close to double that.

The charging element is going to have to get faster too IMO.

6. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Seems like electric tractors would make more sense.

Electric is way better on torque and the weight of the batteries is a plus in a tractor

NorrisAlan likes this.
  7. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

100,000 dollars for a social status is a tough sell though.

8. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Electric cars are going to take some time to pick up as battery costs come down but it’s hard not to see them dominating in the future.

9. CardinalVol

Model 3 for 44,500 with a 350 mile range is doable.

Now. It's still going to have to come down a lot more, no lies there.

10. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Our last two have been electric and I don't see us going back to ICE. They've been great for us.

11. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I love Teslas, will probably get a Model 3 next year. But that truck is hot garbage.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

They are cheaper than you think.

13. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Looks weird as hell but the price point is not terrible for a truck. Tow capacity is damn good which really surprised me.

14. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

I’d get that and pretend I’m Schwarzenegger making my escape in Running Man every day.

gcbvol likes this.
  15. IP

IP Super Moderator

the real questions are does it come in orange and can I change out the Tesla t's for power t's?

gcbvol likes this.
  16. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

That Tesla truck looks like something I drew up in third grade. I'm open to electric, but I'm going to have to work out how price, range and infrastructure limitations, and long term maintenance costs match up against ICE before ever making a purchase. I'd kind of like one, but I'm not buying a $50k vehicle that doesn't tick all my boxes for needs. I'd pay a little more than I would for ICE, but not that much more. Oh, and I realize how much a new truck costs. I decided years ago that I was probably never going to own another new truck. I just can't live with how much prices have increased.

17. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Saw this on the facebooks. FB_IMG_1574494850192.jpg

gcbvol, CardinalVol, IP and 1 other person like this.
  18. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I’ve heard it suggested that the window cracking was a ploy for viral me alerting. I’m no marketer so my gut fails me on this one. Thoughts?

19. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

One of the things I remember from my days working in the auto industry is that glass can be hard depending on the shape and how it's installed. I'm no expert in that area, but imho, it could have been unplanned.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2019
  20. IP

IP Super Moderator

So you're saying it may have been installed incorrectly on that prototype? That makes sense. Wonder if they will announce anything about it.