Episode 8

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by CardinalVol, Apr 14, 2017.

1. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I have not. It's one of those things that I've started a hundred times and never actually made any progress.

2. fl0at_

The empire is controlled by the Sith, and the Sith don't like a lot of force users. They aren't going to cultivate that crop. And the clones had individuality cloned our, and docile nature put in. Kinda limits their ability to fully realize their potential.

There are degrees of sensitivity. We know that based on midichlorian count. The higher the counts, the more powerful. We can take Anakin to be tops, Yoda to be around 2nd. So let's say Anakin is 1. Then Yoda is 99ths Anakin. Mace is probably 1/98th Anakin.

Obi wan is probably like 70/80ths an Anakin. And he dismembered Anakin. Because of experience. And lack of emotion over being "better."

Sensitivity isn't a Boolean. It isn't true or false. It's a scale. And there are paths to increase one's power, in addition. But there is probably a ceiling, even still. And that is likely related to midichlorian count.

Since Anakin is supposed to be the strongest of them all, and he has the highest count, we can arrive at that conclusion logically.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

This is a very round about way to claim you have the Force, float.

The diminishing returns of midichlorians is implicit in the narrative of the prequels, imo. Training matters, which indicates there is skill that is separate from force sensitivity, which means sometimes normies can kick ass for reasons other than force just like obi wan could beat Anakin for other reasons than force.

I don't think I'm being unreasonable here.

4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Obi wan is way higher than that. Was holding his own as an old man until he gave himself up.

5. CardinalVol

Obi Wan is never recognized for how much of a badass he really was.

6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

What are Luke and Leia supposed to be on Anakin scale? And Kylo Ren?

7. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

He let Anakin slip to the dark side, which ultimately led to the galaxy basically being conquered. So, kind of a black mark on the resume.

8. CardinalVol

He was out single handedly winning the Clone Wars (so he thought) when that happened.

Edit - The blemish was he should have cut Anakin's head off and then kicked him in the lava.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  9. fl0at_

Obi Wan gained strength, and wisdom. When he was Anakin's teacher, he wasn't that strong.

10. fl0at_

Luke is a lightweight. Leia probably has more ability than him.

Kylo seems like he's Lukeish. He wants to be much much more,but he got kicked in the nuts by a force user that had to remember to use the force.

11. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I think Luke is not a lightweight. He was given a condensed "short, short version" of Jedi training, and kicked Vader's ass on the Death Star II.

12. CardinalVol

He took down Maul as a youth. Took down Maul again as an old man in 3 seconds (Rebels). Took down Anakin. Held his own against Vader in Vader's prime as an old man. Only person who ever got him was Dooku. He was pretty bad ass, even when younger. Even moreso when older, which is how all Jedi/Sith were.

13. dc4utvols

dc4utvols Contributor

I hated the remake. It was too dark and too full of anti-heroes for me. I like space westerns like the original BSG. I watched most of the first season to give it a chance. Starbuck was one of the few characters I liked in the remake. What exactly was her fate? Was she a ceylon?

14. dc4utvols

dc4utvols Contributor

Yeah Yoda was old, short and walked with a limp when he fought Palpatine to a draw. I loved the scene where he absorbed the force lighting and Palpatine gets a "crap what just happened" look on his face.

Its about the 3:40 mark.
    [video=youtube;iu3qoIsGzUM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iu3qoIsGzUM[/video]

15. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Wait, what?

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

I've watched the series through 3 times and just started run through 4, and I can honestly say I don't know what she was in the end. It was extremely ambiguous. I won't say more because I'm hoping float will watch it and don't want to spoil it.

17. fl0at_

Luke is a lightweight. He got one on one training with two of the best Jedi masters ever, and still got curb stomped by a half crippled, geriatric, and would have been destroyed if his daddy hadn't jumped in to save him.

18. fl0at_

Vader held back for the purpose of allowing Luke's emotion to overtake him. It was staged.

Vader would have continued to push him until he snapped, as he did, or until it became obvious that he would have to be destroyed.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

I thought we had agreed to disagree, but man you're baiting me back in.

1) He got no more than a day's training from Obi-Wan onboard the Millennium Falcon. He got like a couple of days of training, week tops, before going to Bespin. He then returned for a period of no more than a year for further training. He's rolling with a University of Phoenix level of Jedi training. He knows his Jedi ABC's and can count to Jedi 100. You can't call a farm boy dumb if he's only gotten two years of education in his whole life, no matter who his teachers were.

2) A common thread seems to be that mastery of the Force takes a long-ass time. Anakin was "too old" to even be traditionally trained when he was like 10 or whatever. Then, he was no older than 25 when he was "the youngest to ever sit on the council." Dooku was clearly more powerful as an old sith apprentice than he was as a Jedi Knight, from what was indicated in Attack of the Clones. Yoda was the most powerful master and the oldest Jedi-- just a correlation, yes, but it does fit the this pattern I'm laying out. Yoda was considered wise and powerful while simultaneously being 900 years old and walking with a cane and limp. Emperor Palpatine being a deformed old piece of gum doesn't mean he wasn't immensely powerful. Hell, he hinted that he knew how to cheat death and we saw him best Yoda. All this to say: original trilogy Luke was very young, and wouldn't have even been a Jedi Knight by Jedi Council standards. That doesn't mean he was weak, just untrained and young.

3) He hung with his daddy, the most powerful force user ever, in his very first fight for a hot minute. Enough to evade capture. He was going toe to toe with him up until he quit fighting him in Return of the Jedi. It's misleading to not point out that he was refusing to fight when he needed saving.

But we'll probably get to see if you're right about Luke in the next movie.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  20. dc4utvols

dc4utvols Contributor

Epsiode 8 has, I fear, the potential to be Karate Kid in Space. We already have Luke and Snoke training their fighters.

Or it could be very good.

How I would do it:

1.) Kilo is redeemed but bitten by some poisonous creature for which there is no cure and has to live out his days in the healing container.
    2.) Luke is nearly cut in half as he defeats Snoke and has to be put into carbonite and sent off like Arthur to some island for centuries to heal.
    3.) Then in nine Rey defeats the Knights of Ren with her band of Jedi
    4.) As it looks like they have won the force ghosts of the Sith attack.
    5.) they are rescued by the force ghosts of the Jedi
    6.) only Yoda's force ghost survives
    7.) He says the force is too much for mortals to handle, causes nothing but trouble, directs them to disband, quit teaching the way of the force and then allows his force spirit to dissipate into nothingness.
    8.) they all throw down their light sabers and become ordinary citizens of the new republic

the end