Episode 8

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by CardinalVol, Apr 14, 2017.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

But I thought the argument was that in this universe, special/lucky/innately skill equals the force. I think that cheapens both the characters and the force. I think it also leads to narrative problems. Hell it's starting to sound like star eugenics.

2. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I think he said the best tend to be. Kind of like 2000s baseball players and steroids.

3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Just seems Han would be. Would also show why he and Leia could produce a pretty force sensetive kid.

4. dc4utvols

dc4utvols Contributor

LOL this reminds me of a time I had an argument with a Trekkie. I said they should do Y and he said it wasn't possible. He then proceeded to pull out a book with all the "starships" listed and their abilities. Of course I am thinking a director can do anything he wants to in a fictional universe regardless of what some nerd put in an "authoritative" book.

Dues ex machina is as at least as old as, well, Greek plays themselves.

He assumed he had won. That was fine by me as I was done with the moron.

Anyone see the new Doctor Who? I usually watch this with my kids. What's with all the gay propaganda in shows today? I know Who has touched on the subject before but this was uncomfortable. I actually thought the two would kiss. I haven't let the kids see it yet.

So it looks like the new companion is a gay black woman named Bill. I wonder if she will be transgendering. I have been a fan since the mid 80s. They are about to lose me over this stuff that I find morally objectionable. Cant we leave shows like this family friendly and leave controversial subjects out of it?

5. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Why are you stuck on all or nothing? We know forciness is in genetic material, and capable of being passed down. So why not clones?

We know Jedi aren't everywhere at all times, and that people with forciness might get missed, or be too old to train. Why can't they take jobs, and have an unrefined ability, like Anakin and pod racing?

6. fl0at_

Why?

Jabba needs 3PO to talk to Luke, but Han can talk and understand him? And Greedo? And Chewie?

And like every other alien out there?

7. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I just like Han being a guy that doesn't believe in the Force at first, working his way through on his own gumption.

The language thing is not a seemingly uncommon ability among people in the Star Wars universe. Greedo could understand Han. Chewbacca could understand Han. Jabba could understand Han. Jabba needed 3PO to talk to Leia disguised as a Bounty Hunter (we assume, he could have been playing the old ignorant card as well).

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I think that was more of an indicator that Han is well-traveled and Luke wasn't too far removed from a farmboy. I think he could talk to the Jawas.

9. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I enjoyed episode 7. You haters can go to Mustafar.

10. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I loved 7.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Because that means that in thousands of years

1) no one ever thought to genetically engineer a super force-sensitive
    2) no one thought to clone themselves and be their own apprentice/master

I fully accept there are force sensitive folks out and about living their life, Qui Gon said as much that they don't find everyone. I refuse to believe Han solo, Lando, and every other accomplished and lucky SOB is a force-sensitive. It ruins the story if everyone's ability to be awesome protagonists or a random rebel blaster sponge is written in their code at birth. It might as well be King Vader vs Prince Skywalker, with Arch Duke Solo. It's just not interesting if it all comes down to something inherited. It goes from being a fantasy adventure to just being reality with the force standing in for divine right.

12. fl0at_

Everyone understanding Han and Han understanding everyone is a big deal.

Han still is a guy that doesn't believe in the Force, and, oddly enough, is greatly influenced by it. He's a believer in the end, does that also alter how you perceive him? Then why would his ignorance of something buried within him as well?

I wouldn't have pegged you as the dogmatic type.

13. fl0at_

The SITH wouldn't have wanted to clone, and they might have tried (did try, in expanded universe. Pretty sure StarKiller was a clone, or had a clone, as well. And that's technically canon as it was LucasArts approved). And the Jedi would have been very much against it.

So... of course it was thought of. May even have been done. May have been specifically why Fett was chosen as the prime.

Again, not "every." You do understand how selection works, right? Is a beneficial trait standing in for a divine right? Just because it is handed down genetically? You're saying the tall gene is god? Why, all this time, you've been an evolution denier, and a full blown theist. Who knew? Except cotton and Tenny, of course.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

I feel like you're throwing expanded universe spaghetti at the wall here. How do you explain away the many novels that specifically state or identify him as NOT force sensitive? specifically, the storyline in which she and han had 3 children, and she at one point used the force to be able to tell that her children had the gift, and that her husband didn't?

Is the expanded universe only relevant when it doesn't directly contradict your fairly unsupported fan theory?

Ya, I read a shit ton of the books back in the 90's. Come at me.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

"Maybe why fett was chosen..." You're making head canon on the fly. Cool, have fun. Don't pass it off as canon though.

16. fl0at_

There is no strict cannon that says he wasn't. There are tons of inference that says he was.

You are relying on zero evidence to hold up a belief you hold because it's how you were raised, and discarding all logic and evidence in favor of sticking with your "belief."

Star Wars dogmatics are dangerous and dumb.

Also, your source material is in error. Likely a translation issue, or something written after the fact, as we know midichlorian counts determines forciness, and that was done well before Leia's time. We can pitch that book.

17. fl0at_

Prove that it isn't canon. You can't. You are offered evidence. You reject, though offer no counter evidence to disprove the claim. That's on you.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

You're asking me to prove a negative.

You have provided no evidence from the movies, and I've pointed out that in the main expanded universe novel series, he is explicitly not force sensitive. The Last Command by Timothy Zahn, for one. Leia explicitly takes him by the head and reaches out to him with the force, and senses he isn't sensitive. She senses it in her twins.

Now, what explicit evidence, of any kind, do you have for your claim? If it's all conjecture, cool. Just don't pretend like it isn't. Teapot in space, and all that.

19. fl0at_

I've explained why Leia's sense isn't relative. To put it in movie context, even Vader can't sense Luke's strength with the Force until he starts using it. If Han is never aware of his ability, it wouldn't be sensed, it would be a passive and innate ability. The only exact way is a midichlorian count. You are continuing to "eye of the needle," though I keep showing you a door way.

I'm not asking you to prove a negative. You are stating a fact when one does not exist. I'm showing you your folly. That's why I answered for you. If I legitimately needed it answered, I would have left it as an open question. I assumed this at least you understood.

If you're argument against the logical is that I cannot show the link between a and e in the fossil record, thus "macro" evolution must be false, then I leave you to your religion, I mean cannon.

But lest you be a complete hypocrite, I remind you that Abramsverse in Star Trek is cannon, and thus expect you to hold that Bones is called Bones not for Sawbones, but because that was all he had left after the divorce.

If cannon is all that is, and all that.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

you're twisting it, bro.

The above is a claim. Han, Fett, and the clones all may be force sensitive. That's your claim.

You then stated there were a series of books written about this thing. I pointed out that the "expanded universe" isn't canon, and that novels in the expanded universe explicitly state that Solo is not force sensitive.

Now, the EU is inconsistent. There may well be books that indicate or state otherwise. What books? Name some source. I'm not being dogmatic at all, I'm asking you to support your claim, too. Asking for evidence is the opposite of dogmatism by definition.