ESPN Layoffs

Discussion in 'Sports' started by lylsmorr, Apr 26, 2017.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Suppose you hold a nation wide high school basketball contest. Every school's boy team plays their own girl's team. What winning percentage, if any, would you accept as evidence that boys tend to be better at basketball?

2. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

That's cool. Ignore the fact that a city, not even state, all star team beat supposedly the best of the best women in soccer.

3. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Just saw this.

Tough, but fair.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Just poking the bear a little. If you get too mad, I can just hide under a lake.

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yes

6. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

So gun to head, single football game, where the team of my choice plays the team you pick from the 2011 Patriots and the 2011 Giants, you'd take the Giants, because they won that one time?

7. fl0at_

Suppose we held a nation wide high school basketball game, where every high school team played some random group of people in America.

What winning percentage would you accept as evidence that high school ballers are better at basketball than everyone else in America?

8. InVolNerable

Gun to head, I take Super Bowl champ over Lingerie football league champ every time.

9. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I require no evidence. High school ballers are on average better than everyone else.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Didn't know you swung that way.

11. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Having a kid really marred him

12. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

The hell.

13. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

This thread is a bigger train wreck than ESPN.

Keep up the good work.

14. InVolNerable

The second one has totally swung me.

15. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

You may as well try to argue men aren't taller than women.

16. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Well if you take the tallest women in the world and compare their average height to the average of all males, I'm betting the women come out on top. Therefore tall women are taller than average men.

17. fl0at_

Ok, you can play the Redskins in 2011, then. Need to borrow a gun?

18. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

There are, give or take, 7 billion people in the world. Assuming a 50/50 split (it's not), if you somehow took the men, ranked them 1 to 3.5 billion, then do the same as women, and had them compete in a athletic contest where 1 played 1, two played 2, and so forth, my guess is the men would win 90% or greater, and probably closer to 100% than 90.

19. fl0at_

I'll take that bet, we're going to do the high dive. Splash matters, so be sure to take into account height and weight.

Don't like that athletic event, ok, jockeying then. Barrel racing?

See how easy it is to get caught in a net, when using stupid generalities, like "athletic contest."

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm trying to think of Olympic events, how that fits into this discussion. The issue is that some of those events are judged rather than directly competitive, which adds a level of subjectivity. But thinking of gymnastics, it seems like sex is used to define the two different events-- and yet they obviously don't have to be. There isn't an aspect of men's or women's gymnastics that the other couldn't do.