ESPN Layoffs

Discussion in 'Sports' started by lylsmorr, Apr 26, 2017.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

it's like listening to an actor lecture you on politics. it just makes you roll your eyes.

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

That and his McNabb comment.

3. dc4utvols

dc4utvols Contributor

I have Sling TVs blue package. You can only run one instance of blue. Their orange package has multiple screens. The difference? Orange does not have ESPN and Disney. The blue package is $20. I believe it is $6-8 for ESPN. Disney takes a huge chunk. I believe the majority of the others are in the $1-2 range.

Fox News is WHY I dont have Dish network anymore. They went to war with DISH over a rate increase and DISH caved. My bill jumped by over $10. Even though I am conservative I never watched Fox (get my news online-its faster) much so why did I need to pay $10 more? I was done.

I jumped at Sling (owned by DISH) when I saw I could get ESPN and Disney for $20. These rent-seekers think they are the electric company and can jack up their rates at will. Well unfortunately its DISH proper that suffered. Now comcast is as greedy a rent-seeker as the content providers with their $65 internet fees but a big part of the high cost of cable/satellite is the content providers.

It may be a while but I hope that we will get a al carte for the "Bigs" sometime. If it wasn't for my kids I would sub to Sling only during football season. Sling is month to month without any cancellation fees.

As for ESPN if it wasn't for college football I would be done with them as well. I rarely watch any of their other programming.

Youtube is free and you can find content tailored to your taste. I "cut the cord" 2 years ago and haven't missed a thing.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  4. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

You're a tool. And groupies? Funny. You started the edit game and I just played along with you. Learn how to read and I'm still waiting on you to show me how I am happy anyone lost their jobs.

5. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

I made the same point over...

And over...

And over...

You're saying "politics are not the driving force, but good people lost their jobs over politics." Unless the "good people" were the most political ones, it can't be the reason behind the firings and also not a driving force. It's one or the other. Not that complicated.

6. NashVol11

And now "you started it, by editing your own posts." You made it to second grade.

I never said you were happy. Your general implication is that good people are getting fired as a consequence of ESPN pissing off people like you. "ESPN is getting what it deserves, and these poor good people are getting fired because the idiots at ESPN got political." There's no evidence to support that as a major reason, which you said yourself.

7. NashVol11

It's more like, Good people are getting fired because:

- cable is expensive
    - everything on cable is available online
    - there are way more options for entertainment in general
    - ESPN has nothing to show during the day
    - the network is woefully out-of-touch with what attracts viewers

(tons of other reasons)

- politics

8. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Exactly. When you market yourself as entertainment and sports, build up a huge audience, then consistently go away from that...you're going to suffer. Happening to ESPN Radio too.

9. dc4utvols

dc4utvols Contributor

+1

10. NashVol11

I'm sorry if I made it sound like you were happy about individuals losing their jobs, btw. I imagine you as feeling for the fired employees and their families, but laughing at the idea of ESPN declining as a brand. I don't assume that anyone here is saying "SUCK IT" to the writers individually.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

It is a tough time for media folks. They're suffering from the tech and culture moving them towards obsolescence.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

When a story breaks about the vols, I'm definitely going to see it here first. And I'm going to want to read what groves thinks, what oldvol's perspective is, and what the opposite of what tenny says will happen is.

13. dc4utvols

dc4utvols Contributor

Yep and they suffer from arrogance and over inflated ego that comes from their near monopolistic hold over content. I think live tv will allow them to resist change for a while.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Young people don't watch live tv. I don't. Anything live is streamed. I mostly watch or listen to non media streamers and podcasts for live stuff. There is a generational change occurring.

15. dc4utvols

dc4utvols Contributor

I do PPV games like that but I prefer reliability and often you dont get that with those streams.

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

You youngsters make me sick with your color TVs and your touchtone phones.

17. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

I'll be sure to check posts from here on out and make sure they include the 1 percent. It's a generalization. One that is absolute fact. Men are better at sports across the board. There are outliers, I'd stop using them to try and prove a point because it makes you look like a crazy person.

18. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Not sure the guy touting Pizzagate as a real thing is in any real spot to be commenting on other's levels of sanity.

19. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

You can buy NBA, NHL and NBA packages directly on AppleTV (among other devices). It's only a matter of time before the NFL and NCAA follow suit.

20. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Nice try. I said there is a lot of circumstantial evidence. I've read a.ton of the leaked emails, it's a bad look. Never said it was a fact.