ESPN Layoffs

Discussion in 'Sports' started by lylsmorr, Apr 26, 2017.

1. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

There isn't anything to support it.

I'd be trying to walk it back too.

2. MWR

MWR Contributor

It is possible that the market for televised sports along with sports shows is saturated.

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I think the only reason you can't now is due to their espn contracts

4. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Not walking back anything.

5. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Definitely.

6. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

This. I don't watch anything outside of games, because I'm not interested in TMZ: Sports

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

7. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Which sports, and how do you qualify it? How do you determine a male is better at gymnastics than a female? Or rowing? Fencing? Cross country skiing? Swimming? Diving?

Oh, you mean "football," and like 4 other sports as "sports across the board."

8. fl0at_

No, that would require a level of self awareness.

9. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I took a bit of a different direction in my post, but to me what I consider better basketball is more entertaining basketball (unless it's the Grizzlies - of course). The stuff that entertains us (or maybe just me) in athletics is watching athletic achievements that the common person can't accomplish. 360 dunk on the break. OBJ one handed grab behind the head running full speed. 450 ft home runs. You tend to see that more in male sports, because...well nature and testosterone.

The UConn/Miss State game was great and entertaining, but that's an outlier in games I've seen.

10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Other than gymnastics and diving those all seem quantifiable.

11. fl0at_

Yea, you like what entertains you. No pushback from me on that. We all like what entertains us.

12. fl0at_

Rowing is a team sport. An all male team may post a faster time than an all female team. That same team may still post the same time if they had one female.

Skiing has a judgement component in some aspects. Just down hill times is the best you can measure. And then the statistical difference between two times may not be significant, even if one is faster. And if a female is faster than 99/100 other opponents, and the 1 opponent is male, making a sweeping generalization that makes are better is pretty amusing, since 99 just got smoked.

Usain Bolt is a freak runner. He's probably faster than everyone on the planet. The fact that the best female isn't faster than him doesn't mean men are better at running, because that female is better than 99.99999999% of all male runners. And that's not in general, that's specific. She just isn't faster than those one or two dudes. She's still generally and specifically faster than damn near every other man on the planet.

13. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I was assuming that you meant those were somehow less quantifiable than football and like 4 other sports.

14. fl0at_

I'm saying they are all equally bad at being quantified, but the main sports are viewed from an entertainment factor, and thus "better."

We have means of quantifying them all: score, time, etc. and other than team sports, we're really talking best day vs best day, of 1 in billions of performances. Sorry, I'm not going to draw a conclusion on 1 in a billion that is 2 seconds faster than the 1 in 999,999,999

15. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

So you aren't willing to say that men are better at football and basketball?

16. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Watching fl0at_ go into heater mode entertains me.

17. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

The high school men's 100m record is faster than the woman's world record.

A city u15 team can beat the USWNT
    http://www.cbssports.com/soccer/new...-the-u-s-womens-national-team-in-a-scrimmage/

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  18. fl0at_

Football players aren't natural, in size, speed, anything. They are artificially inflated. Women also don't play. They don't play at 6 years old, and continue through adult years. They don't have massive summer camps, and scholarships. It's an impossible comparison.

Even with basketball, you're looking at specifics, and talking generalities. The five best, historical basketball players, of all time, in their prime, probably play a faster game than an equal set of women and win. That's not the same as saying those same women don't wipe the floor with everyone here.

It's making generations using specifics. They are still better than 99.9999% of all men.

But let me turn it back on you. Football and basketball is easily quantifiable, who is without a doubt the concensus GOAT of each sport?

19. fl0at_

20. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Me.