Fake news sparks nuclear posturing

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Dec 24, 2016.

1. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

It won't change as long as they are making money.

And please take my comments as generalities. They are not at all meant to be a reflection on any specific individual here. People, in general, are lazy.

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I hate to tell everyone, but this is just what's happened throughout the majority of American history. Set up news organization to promote agenda. Report facts that adhere to that agenda.

Only difference now is the availability of the news via the internet.

3. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Yep, and I'd argue that it actually used to be worse in certain periods of American history. However, my main contention with the topic of this thread is that there is a sort of more recent phenomenon of blatantly false news that is quite different than bias. If Fox News takes factual news, puts their slant upon it and I buy it or accept it without prejudice, then that's on me for not using a discerning mind or common sense, whatever. If any of the proliferation of dubious smaller websites that are popping up everywhere that have world Weekly News-esque headlines, but for politics, then I think that is an issue which needs to be addressed. How is the question.

4. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

1. I'm not sure which liberals are advocating for government censorship of these websites, but certainly none here. I do think that a liberal advocacy of a private entity like Facebook to remove these fake news sites, considering their proliferation and nebulous influence, is warranted and a desirable objective.

2. I don't know which liberal justices, other than your convenience in using the idea of liberalism as the eternal bogeyman, have advocated the censorship of the press as you suggest would happen, but I am curious as to the previous incarnations of this activity by "the most liberal of justices". From what I have gathered in my observations, liberals have quite a good record in advocacy of the first amendment.

3. Government censorship of media sites on the internet, or anywhere else, isn't happening anyway, nor will it. Sites like Western Journalism aren't coming off the internet.

4. The most valid threat to any kind of censorship, currently, by anyone in politics is from Donald J. Trump advocating an easing of libel laws in this country. And, to be more speculative, Trump's propensity to allow his megalomania to override good sense in regards to his reactions to negative media stories about himself will probably be a greater threat, as well, than any attempt to deal with these fake news sources.

5. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

Othering sells, and it always will. It's not a today thing IMO

6. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

Pretty much beat me to it

7. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Where have you gone, Ron Burgundy, a nation turns its lonely eyes to you

8. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

There's a lot of coaches that can go 8-4 at Tennessee. There's no need in over paying Butch

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Yes, that soul be what a factual headline would look like