First Republican Debate Set

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by tvolsfan, Aug 4, 2015.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

That's Jeb.

2. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I think its more yeah we're tired of career politicians, but whoever you elect has to be able to work in the political process. Carson to me is a guy that knows a lot about neuroscience and not much about anything else.

When questioned about his lack of political knowledge last night he could have said, "yeah I made those mistakes which is why I'm continuing to study up on these issues and my cabinet will be full of top men." I think that kind of response would have resonated with a lot of people. Instead he made some comment about how the question misrepresented his lack of knowledge and that the gaffes didn't really happen.

3. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

He called for raising the retirement age for soc. security. That's not popular.

4. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

But very necessary.

5. CardinalVol

But truth. 100% truth.

He almost seemed to be to soft to me. Trying to be nice. Jmo.

6. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I don't know. If you're gonna say unpopular things, like that as well as other things that Republicans don't like. (and he was the most moderate guy on the stage according to http://www.ontheissues.org/default.htm ), then you gotta say things nicely or it's just gonna make people mad.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Manufactured love. Gotta keep at least one person around that isn't a white male.

8. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

White guilt.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

10. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Playing Craps?!?

11. CardinalVol

Good ol' Ricky.

12. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

It's hard to say who "won" the debate considering there were 10 people on stage and the moderators have too much influence over how these candidates appear. I mean, if they ask one guy 10 questions and another 2 than the guy that gets asked 2 looks like he didn't show up.

Debates work much better on a smaller scale, like 2-3 candidates so they can answer the same questions and challenge each other. I wouldn't take much away from this first debate other than Trump is trolling everyone.

13. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

Was he describing what Rick Perry would be doing if he goes to prison?

14. CardinalVol

I haev a buddy who loathes Trump. Loathes him. Now, while Trump as President terrifies, Trump the Candidate/Person/Character fascinates me.

THe main take-away I see is this. Trump is hitting the populist note perfectly right now. And while I am in no way suggesting they should copy him, they may want to just consider really looking at what he is doing and if some aspect shouldn't be incorporated.

15. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

Rubio was better than I thought he would be. Still not a lot of substance, but overall pretty good. Would be an excellent VP choice.

16. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I was disappointed when Romney did not select him.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

How do you guys rationalize his personal debt issues?

18. CardinalVol

You ever read about Washington's debt issues? I think it's a non point.

19. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Trump?

20. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

He has been personally irresponsible, he has admitted as much. I'm more concerned with the fact that in the past he named his wife treasurer of his pac and used party money to attend a reunion. I probably wouldn't vote for him if he's the nominee, but think he is solid VP pick.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015