Georgia Fans Say "Keep giving it to Hurd"

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by **TDCVOL**, Sep 8, 2014.

1. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

I don't buy it at all. Why wasn't Gurley dominant before now?

2. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

exactly. They quick change to a guy housing it too. It's about the scheme and ability to block it, along with solid runner.

3. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

he was hurt, for one, not that i'm agreeing with kidb.

4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

He's always been pretty damn good. Was just as unstoppable last season before injury.

5. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

He wasn't? News to me.

6. kidbourbon

Nick Chubb had four carries. If you're arguing that Gurley is getting his yard because of the players around him and/or the system in place, then stop. That's silliness.

Also, both Nick Chubb and Sony Michel -- the "guys behind him" -- were higher rated out of HS than Hurd. In the same class.

7. kidbourbon

It was probably just the system.

8. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

he just had his biggest rushing day ever and it was sub 200 yards.

9. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

he was good, but nobody was talking heisman or acting he'd line up individually and beat SCe.

10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Chubb wasn't ahead of Jalen on Rivals. Yes, the guys around him matter. It wasn't too long ago UT had a guy who is now one of the most statistically impressive NFL RBs and he did jack shit behind our pansy OL. In fact, we would opt to put Lucas Taylor as a wildcat QB and have him scramble in goal line situations rather than hand it off.

11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I'm pretty sure I did, but I don't care to look back through old threads.

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Hurd would look significantly better at UGA right now. He wouldn't look as good as Gurley.

13. kidbourbon

The best returning RB in the country usually gets Heisman chatter.

14. kidbourbon

On ESPN, he was. I don't know about the others and I don't care to look.

15. kidbourbon

The point is this: a dude posted that Gurley wouldn't be doing any better if he was getting Hurd's carries, and that's nonsense.

16. kidbourbon

He's always split carries.

Are you actually arguing that Gurley wasn't a certifiable, known stud. That he just busted on the scene?

17. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

He's better than Hurd, so he'd do better. He wouldn't be doing as well as he is at Georgia. None of that really indicates Hurd isn't a good back. I think he'll be a really good player for us once Kendrick and Crowder get out of his way.

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He had to push Crowder out of the way against Utah State

19. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Hurd, like any other RB would be, has been dead to rights more times than not once having received a hand off this season. Outside of a carry against USU where he ignored daylight and stayed inside, I don't understand where you are seeing these opportunities where a better back makes chicken salad out of chicken shit. It's a very bad scheme being implemented with possibly worse players up front and a superior RB's impact is going to be minimal at best compared to what Hurd has been doing.

20. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Bollocks, the threat of Gurley alone would give Crowder the strength of fitty men.