GrantLand Article

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by GahLee, Sep 17, 2014.

1. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Coach with a cliche' guy once. You'll understand.

2. JayVols

My experience has been that the rah rah guy that could blow up an onion sack can't coach a lick. Not to mention that shit gets old hearing it for the 1,000th time in the film room.

And that's while your breaking down film for game 3 of your season.

3. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Exactly.

Im not a fan of them personally but they re not meant for the fans.

4. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Like them or hate them, there's a purpose behind them. I personally don't care, if the players and recruits like it (and they seem to) then who cares. Winning cures all, so these mantras will ring hollow to some right now and maybe always will but if he starts winning it won't matter.

5. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Of things to complain about, and there's a list, for sure, they're well on down it.

6. GahLee

It's PR. He's probably not shouting brick by brick in the film room. We've seen plenty of film of him coaching and he's not really doing that stuff.

7. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I will say this, I am glad to see he drops them after a while. The brick by brick thing was nice last year, but I haven't heard him use it again this year (sans the regurgitated State Farm commercial).

8. GahLee

Pretty much. I think some are just tired of talk and want results. I can see that but his cliches aren't what is keeping us from winning.

9. JayVols

I'm not offended by them. They simply bring my PTSD to a boil. It starts off as a twitch in my eye and quickly progresses to punching kittens.

10. limpleg

limpleg He gone. No, really.

you guys complain about some weird stuff. Some warranted. Some silly. Saying Butch can't coach because he uses clichés? The players love everything he is doing. That's what counts. I know parents of 3 kids on the team right now and they'd run through a wall for him and their teammates. Isn't that what counts?

11. JayVols

Who said that?

Go back and reread.

12. limpleg

limpleg He gone. No, really.

I thought you said your experience is that coaches that use clichés usually can't coach. If I misinterpreted, my bad. But Belicheck, Saban...all the best, use clichés and use them daily.

13. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Treat them like men, set a limited amount of core rules, enforce fairly, and demand attention to details.

Players will play for you if they know you care about them, and have their backs.

14. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Most the time the best coaches are the ones that are *******s that demand perfect of details. Cliches don't last once the actions starts.

15. JayVols

I was asked why I didn't care for them. My experience is that cliche's have been used give the illusion of being a good coach. I was just explaining my reasons for disliking them. I didn't mean to infer that it was a litmus test for bad coaches.

16. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Yep. Good coaching with lesser talent can steal a win here or there, but eventually you've got to get the players to win consistently and at a larger scale. I'm for whatever it takes for getting championship level players here. If his corny stuff works then keep doing it. Eventually, and it won't be long, we will be able to tell fuly if he's capable of coaching at this level. If the wins don't start coming in that's when I will turn, but he's earned the right to keep me on his ship with the recruiting he's done so far and the team does seem to be taking steps. Just need an OC...ill give him the chance to correct that too.

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

If that's all you say, you're usually covering up shitty coaching.

18. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

The players love him because he acts like he cares and they're getting coached up a little. That will really win over a lock room after the failure of Dooley.

19. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

They use them to annoy the media by not giving them good sound snippets to talk about.

20. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Exactly.