Hart, get your Moby [penis]

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by InVolNerable, Dec 1, 2012.

1. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

This is the hire that can make your career. You get the guy who has been unattainable for the past 4 or 5 years. NFL has gone after him, college has gone after him, and nobody has come remotely close.

It's within your grasp. Absolve the control you supposedly want and hire the popular vote. Parlay it into a job you truly desire. This hire can get you any AD job you want. You aren't important to the University of Tennessee. Gruden is.

That's all for my late night, rum-induced rant.

2. Tex_Volfan.

Tex_Volfan. Only Mod Approved Posts

3. MG1968

MG1968 New Member

If Gruden really doesn't want the job, is it really worth it for Hart to go in and promise Gruden anything and everything?

Should Hart agree to 10 million/year, guaranteed for 10 years, with no buyout and Gruden can walk at any time without penalty?

Seems to me that if Gruden really wanted this job, there would have been some indication other than anonymously-sourced rumors stating that he really wanted this job. If he really wanted this job, he should have started campaigning on MNF right after Dooley was fired, not sit back on his ass and watch a fan base twist itself into knots thinking that he was going to be the second coming of Robert Neyland.

**** Jon Gruden.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Anyone that thinks he asked for 100 million dollars guaranteed is a dumbass.

5. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

You are right, we should have gave Dooley's dumb ass another year, or bring back Fulmer.

6. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

because clearly there's no in between. It's either Gruden with power and control demands never seen before in college football or Dooley/Fulmer. There's no other options.

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I agree with what you're getting at Bill, but this public fight playing out in the media doesn't bode well for getting a top notch candidate

8. woodshed

woodshed Active Member

Another year of Dooley and I would have started cutting myself. Hart had better do every thing in his power to get Gruden. It ain't ****in' over.

9. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

There are other options, steal away someone that has a proven track record of winning against the ACC, and losing against the AP top 10. I love that idea. Go through 20 coaches until we find someone who fits. I like that one more. Hire Strong because he's black and the media wants more black coaches in the NCAA.

10. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

you're dumb as a box of rocks. You really think it's because Strong is black? No, it's because he's a proven great recruiter, a proven winner and his players love playing for him and give it their all. Gruden has never even been a HC in college, he's not a guarantee. He's close, but there are several candidates who can come in and win at UT.

I mean face it. Look at next year's schedule and our roster. Whether we hire Gruden, Dave Doeren, Charlie Strong or resurrect General Neyland himself, we're only winning 8 games max.

11. easlo58

easlo58 New Member

All legit points. I tend to think that if you've been a successful coach at the highest level, then you can do the same in college. The key would be recruiting. Gruden!! Hell the name alone would bring in talent. Later would come the wins, maybe not at first but most assured later. Besides, Gruden would get a much longer leash by the fans when waiting for the program to build. He's is proven IMO.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  12. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

name one coach who hasn't been able to at least recruit decently at Tennessee. Even Dooley, who couldn't coach Tennessee to a guaranteed win over a Pee Wee league team was still pulling in top 20 talent. Recruiting is not key. Not at all. Being able to coach players up, develop them, make proper in game strategies and motivate the players are all leaps and bounds over recruiting.

13. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

So much Hart being the hero in all of this. That story line is out the window at this point. He can either decide he wants to save his job or not.

14. easlo58

easlo58 New Member

I'm right, your right. Coaching and Recruiting. Either way we need a coach that can accomplish both.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2012
  15. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

a coach that can get his players to play hard and be competitive will be able to recruit at Tennessee, whether they've shown the ability to recruit yet or not. It's why I wouldn't be worried about people like Patterson or unproven on a big time level names like Doeren or Hazell.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2012
  16. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Strong has got the big name partly because he is black. He is no better than Golden or Fisher. He is exactly what we need, a guy that domminates the [dadgum] big east. 14-12, unproven but is deemed by some the next big thing. Let him go to Cal and prove he can win, then in 4 years when we are firing/looking for a new coach, we'll give him a shot.

17. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

lol look at what he did at florida.

18. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Gruden wants the job. Everyone outside of UT admin wants him to have the job. If it doesn't happen those guys need to be executed at halftime of our next game.

19. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Filling in for one game? Or as a defensive coordinator? Look at his defense in Louisville.

Fine, hire him as defensive coordinator. Keep Chaney, and we'll continue on the path we're on now. Or we can make a sunami in the SEC and hire Gruden.

20. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

That's utter bullshit all this "because he's black" stuff. He may dominate the "[dadgum] big east" but he's doing it with a "[dadgum] big east" team. You act like he took his SEC team and moved them to the big east in order to pile up wins. Trust me, if it was "because he's black" there would be a lot more black head coaches getting chances. Charlie Strong has paid his dues, he's not some 30-something that went from GA straight to head coach in 3 years.