Hart, get your Moby [penis]

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by InVolNerable, Dec 1, 2012.

1. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

My bad ... quoted the wrong post.

2. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

The guys that people are actually talking about:

Mike Gundy (no idea how realistic this is)
    Charlie Strong (would be good)
    Larry Fedora (a little less proven, but has potential)
    Al Golden (I'm higher on him than most, but his recruiting is concerning me a little. May just be sanctions)
    Jimbo Fisher (do. not. want)

Candidates that people should be talking about but aren't:

Butch Davis

Hipster choices (all of whom may be good, but are at much smaller schools, and nobody in the media has brought them up)

Mike MacIntyre
    Gary Andersen
    Dave Doeren
    Darrell Hazell

3. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

I don't think I'm ever going to fall in the hipster category again in my life. Now I just need to figure out if this a moment I should relish or run away from.

4. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

I like Gundy's experience but he is an OkSt alum so it'd probably be pretty hard to poach him. Fedora would be alright but strictly offensive guy IMO so we would need a homerun DC hire to assist him in the rebuilding effort. Out of this list, I'm not sure how you don't choose Strong. In depth SEC experience and recruiting. Call me crazy, call me whatever, I'm still in on Gruden until we make a different hire.

With all due respect, I'll pass on Golden as vehemently as you passed on Fisher.

5. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

If the rampant rumors of Gundy being tired of Pickens always looking over his shoulder, and the rampant rumors of Hart refusing to give Gruden control, Gundy might be the perfect fit. He could use Hart as his buffer from Haslem, Thornton and all the other boosters and Hart would maintain a lot of control. I'm not big on Fedora, but Gundy faces the same challenge Fedora would. He would have to bring in a slam dunk DC. I've never liked Gundy's defenses.

6. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

I really didn't think of it until you brought it up but you're right. They don't play defense in the Big 12 anymore. There are 59-45 games week in and week out. It may be more than Gundy is ready for unless he can find a DC with an SEC pedigree.

7. Tar Volon

I think Golden is a little underrated. He pulled a top ten recruiting class under the NCAA shadow last year, he's averaging 3.5 stars with this class (which is a very small one) under the NCAA shadow, he's exceeded expectations this year, and he turned Temple around. Temple!

That said, he's not my top choice. I'm with you in thinking Strong is the best of the bunch. I actually think MacIntyre could do good work here, but it's hard to ask us to swallow bringing somebody straight from the WAC or MAC after the last hire.

8. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

Gundy's defense today against Baylor already looks like what we have at UT. Bears whoopin that ass early.

9. Tar Volon

Their defense last year was actually pretty effective in forcing turnovers, and they got some good results that way. Held Oklahoma to 10 points.

10. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

Look at them right now as example A.

11. Tar Volon

I think Oklahoma State blew their load against Oklahoma last week. If they don't look their worst of the season today, I'd be shocked.

12. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

I believe McIntyre, Hazzel, or Doeren could coach here but, I'm telling you, they would get literally NO time to turn things around. It would almost be unfair to those guys. Hell, I can't say that I would have any patience with a FBS conference coach the second time around either.

13. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

Guys, we're getting Gruden. No inside info, I just believe it.

14. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

It's very curious. Was he ex-military? Serious question.

15. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

Not according to his bio ... we used to bend our bills on the BDU caps in the Army in a similar fashion so I see the resemblance. Maybe his dad or a close family member is a possibility.

16. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

Word

17. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

If he's counting on Hart being his protector, he's shit out of luck. Hart's tenure at UT as well as Cheek's will be over soon. Damn shame what they will have cost UT when it happens.

18. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

your hatred of Hart is laughable Jay. I think the truth needs to come out before the hatred for Hart is so hardcore. But do your thing man.

19. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Laugh away and I will.

20. reVOLt

reVOLt Contributor

Except if Hart ****ed up the Gruden hire, he won't be here to provide that buffer.