Hercules checkmates atheists

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

I have heard as high as 20.

No joke.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Holy crap. I'd be knocking my friends' teeth out for that.

3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Four quarters here, and the last two teeth were free.

4. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

Dafuq?!!There better be a pinky finger laying beside that molar for $20!!!

5. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

This from the man who keeps trying to make his mouth pregnant.

Rich.

6. Tenacious D

I agree with every word he said in the quoted text.

I would only add that some believe in God, and don't just deny it, but may not know it.

7. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

$1 if I pull.

$2 if they pull.

8. JayVols

Hahahaha

9. Tenacious D

This post is equal parts supremely arrogant and indefensibly ignorant.

"Religious folk", fundamental or otherwise, have just as much right to influence public policy as anyone else, and to whatever end they believe it best, or simply most desire. Be it real, imagined or "mythological", and completely independent of your opinion or approval.

And a Buddhist should take care in what we choose to call a "myth", if only as an empathetic exercise.

I'm sorry that I'm not sorry that we live in a largely Christian nation. There's absolutely room for everyone, but that's the way it is.

Tough shit for atheists, Buddhists, et al, I guess.

10. JayVols

With a gold & diamond ring on it.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

What utter nonsense. Super secret beliefs, so secret they don't even know it!

Deep down, Ben4vols believes in climate change. I mean, how could he not?!

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

When it comes to mandating their religion as the authority on governance, they actually do not. Not in this country. Completely independent of your opinion or approval. You will need to repeal the 1st amendment to change that.

13. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Arrogant? Most likely, as my opinionated nature is one of my true faults.

Ignorant? I make many ignorant statements, but I do not believe this to be one of them.

Does a fundamentalist Christian (Muslim/Jew/Buddhist/Zoroastrian/etc) have the right to want to have a law passed stating that Christianity (or which ever religion he belongs) is the State Religion? Sure, he has that right. It will be shot down, of course, but he can pursue it all he wants.

And while that is a gross hyperbolic statement, you know that there are those that believe it is a Christian Nation and we should follow the Bible in all things, even governance. And I tire of having to watch out for this stuff all the time. My kids constantly come home with "brochures" for Church related things that are handed out at school. They had missionaries come and speak about their trip to South America last year, and I had to make sure that it was simply a geographical lesson and nothing more.

I tire of these fights, frankly. I am not raising my children as anything, as it is their decision if they ever choose to do so to follow any particular religion.

And do you quiver at all about calling Zeus mythological? I doubt it, but perhaps you do. And yes, Buddhism, just like every ancient religion, is steeped in myths. And I believe not one of them, to be honest. The Buddha was not born from the side of his mother, nor was he immaculately conceived by a god in the form of a great white elephant.

But I would bark at any Buddhist trying to get it into history texts as the absolute truth, just as I would fight against the teaching that the earth is 6500 years old.

14. Beechervol

Yep.

And they wasnt gold capped neither.

15. JayVols

Tenny's got his karma in a wad.

16. Beechervol

I have yet to pull any of mine and very rarely know when they have loose teeth to begin with.

My uncle pulled the majority of mine in church.

17. Tenacious D

I don't require your agreement, here.

18. JayVols

I enjoy pulling my kids' teeth.

That sounds a lot worse than it should.

19. Beechervol

Ive often thought this to be an interesting discussion.

Why should one citizen not vote for policy they agree with based off their beliefs because another citizen doesnt agree with it. But then that same citizen that didnt agree with the other view vote for what they believe in?

20. Beechervol

Mine find a sense of pride in pulling their own for some reason.

Splinters are a different story. They bring me a needle and a lighter asap.