Hooker well positioned for the Heisman with the Schedule

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by IP, Oct 6, 2022.

1. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Because he's not on a CFP team anymore. And him (and everyone else offensively in fairness) playing like dookey against UGA followed up by him tearing his ACL in a 30 point loss to South Caro-freaking-lina are the freshest memories of him to Heisman voters. Pretty simple really. And tbh I'm at peace with it. Love the guy, but Hendon simply didn't close out his Heisman Campaign like Heisman Winners are expected to do. Is what it is.

I do, however, still think he at the very least deserves the honor of being invited to NYC as one of the finalists

10SEvols likes this.
  2. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

He get kicked or something?

3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

But who has, this year?

4. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Well currently according to our esteemed Heisman voting blue-check overlords Caleb Williams has. Of course I have no real clue if he deserves it or not considering I have watched maybe 20 snaps of USC football all year because they kickoff most their games at 2am each week. Can't be questioning the wisdom of Heisman voters.

But for real, I get why Hooker is no longer in contention to win it, as much as I would have liked for him to strike the pose this year.

5. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

With that said, how TF did Tebow win the Heisman in 2007 despite UF going something like 8-4/9-3 that year? Heisman voters and logic have never been a marriage. It's a stupid award anyways (unless of course one day a Tennessee player actually wins it, then I'll say it is the most prestigious and important award any human can possibly earn).

VOLinDAWGland likes this.
  6. IP

IP Super Moderator

I will still stay it is a stupid award. A broken clock is right twice a day.

InVolNerable likes this.
  7. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

Dennis Dixon got hurt.

justingroves likes this.
  8. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Still. And I know the entire 2007 season in general was on bath salts, but you’d think someone like WVU’s Pat White or someone else on a team in title contention would’ve won it. That WVU squad had some freaking monsters despite the fact the choke against Pitt might be the most devastating loss any team has ever suffered in college football history.

Odd how some years the prevailing narrative is “the Heisman award should go to the beat and most valuable player on a title contending team”. Whereas the next year they will gaslight us with a narrative that “the Heisman winner should be the best player in college football regardless of team record. ItS aN iNdIvIdUaL aWaRd aFtErAlL!”

9. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

You know what really chaps my ass? As soon as Hendon went down with an injury and missed the Vandy game, he was immediately written off as a candidate because “missed a game, orange team bad, yada yada yada”. Tennessee has a history of guys coming in second, including Majors losing to the only Heisman winner from a team with a losing record and Peyton losing to a defensive player. What doesn’t get mentioned is that Heath Shuler finished runner-up to Charlie Ward who missed a game due to injury during the season. Only in the last 30 years a guy wins the Heisman after missing a game and it just happened to be the year we had the second place player.

[uck fay] that trophy.

10. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

And, every year, an emphasis is always put on a players “Heisman moment”. Find me a candidate that has anything close to what Hooker did in the last 15 seconds against Alabama.

11. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

I don’t know man, that North Carolina QB engineering a successful game extending drive vs Appy state in week one was pretty legandary. And Stroud pulling his head out of his ass to secure a victory late vs NorthWestern was Desmond Howardesque. Magical stuff

12. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

South Carolina beat another top 10 team on the road the following week and is ranked in the top 20 now.

My point was that none of the heisman favorites have closed out the season well. So why the shift to a guy who is winning now but wasn’t part of the conversation all season because of the soft schedule? The soft schedule is still soft.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

The facts are that a 1 loss tennessee with two top 10 wins lost to Scar on the road and dropped 5 spots. A 1 loss clemson with no notable wins lost to scar the next week at home and dropped 1 spot.

This doesn't make sense.

Memtownvol and warhammer like this.
  14. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Can’t give up 63 with it all on the line to an average team and complain, imo. Like anything else, if you leave things to be decided by idiots, don’t blame the idiots when it doesn’t work out.

10SEvols, OneForVol and VOLinDAWGland like this.
  15. IP

IP Super Moderator

The committee ranked an average team #19?

I can simultaneously own that we left it up to idiots while also pointing out that they ARE idiots.

16. Ssmiff

true. I’m just saying. Haven’t seen me talk about it much since we blew it. SC was coming off a loss vs Mizzou, squeak by Vandy and 38-6 beat down from a bad Florida team who lost to Vandy. We were 3 TD favorites and gave up 63. Hard for me to argue after that. What happened in Sept is a long time ago

justingroves likes this.
  17. NorrisAlan

But then USCjr goes and beats Clemson in their house. Beamer basically told Satterfield to suck it, destroyed the playbook and let Rattler loose. Yes, we gave up 63 and that is unforgivable, but USCjr came out and was doing shit they hadn't done all year.

And September games should hold equal merit as November games. I understand humans are going to human, and recency bias is a real and sometimes unavoidable thing, but September was really not that long ago.

And Pitt ended 8-4, LSU is heading to the SEC championship game and Bama is on the cusp of the Playoffs, some how. We just are not in the Good Ole Boys club and, for some reason that escapes me, we seem to be the Red Headed Stepchild of the SEC, despite our long history of greatness.

18. Ssmiff

I believe Satterfield told Beamer to suckit and changed it to what he’s used to

VOLinDAWGland likes this.
  19. NorrisAlan

Either way.

20. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Except there is no alternative who has had a better year or more Heisman moments than Hooker.