Hooker well positioned for the Heisman with the Schedule

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by IP, Oct 6, 2022.

1. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

Bo Nix winning would kind of be hilarious and maybe the death knell for that stupid trophy.

2. KyleAlexanderfan

KyleAlexanderfan Well-Known Member

UNC QB quietly has the best stats.

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

North Carolina's quarterback is playing extremely well

4. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

5. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Shaping up for the OSU-Michigan game to decide the Heisman IYAM. Damn Midwest sports writers strike again.

justingroves likes this.
  6. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Auburn fans did always proclaim he would win a Heisman before he graduated lol

SetVol13, A-Smith and justingroves like this.
  7. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Nothing would make me happier than for Michigan's running back having 30 carries for 52 yards and Stroud have a terrible day too

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

But this is the Heisman, all that matters is the regional journalistic politics.

VOLinDAWGland likes this.
  10. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

thats basically all of the mainstream news.

sports is just a slice of pie and easier to see

11. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

That was just a sarcastic meme campaign. Everyone always knew he had no shot because Gus Malzahn didn’t recruit a tackle his last 6 years at Auburn.

12. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Totally anecdotal but the Auburn fans in my life universally were as serious as a heart attack with their belief of him being a future Heisman winner.

13. HCKevinSteele

Believe me when I say I don’t mean for this question to come off as if I’m looking down on them, I wouldn’t describe being a hardcore college football junkie as a super healthy life choice, but do they follow Auburn football closely?

Among all the people I know who do follow closely, there would probably have been close to 100% consensus that Bo Nix is an incredibly gifted athlete and can make all the throws. But, at the end of the day, the offensive line charged with protecting him was closer to a G5 talent level than what you’d need to be successful in the SEC. They were (and still are) that bad. He just had no chance.

He was very good at Auburn when his O line wasn’t massively overmatched. I wanted to check myself here so I crunched some numbers. If you look at his Auburn games against P5 opponents where his offensive line wasn’t completely overmatched his average passer rating was around 160. This year it’s 173. I’d say Oregon’s talent level playing PAC 12 teams is reasonably comparable to Alabama, Georgia or Ohio State playing other SEC/Big 10 teams.

I don’t think he’s a future NFL franchise QB or anything but he is very good. Auburn was just a bad situation where had a bad offensive line and a coach who isn’t a capable quarterback coach, running a system that absolutely cannot work if you aren’t running the ball effectively.

14. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

[uck fay] Auburn

Memtownvol and HCKevinSteele like this.
  15. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

16. HCKevinSteele

The response time is truly impressive.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  17. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Hooker has more passing yards and higher completion %, fewer INTs and 4x the rushing yards. Just not as many tds, and have played a harder schedule

NorrisAlan, yont sum iss? and IP like this.
  18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Stroud slightly higher QBR. No heisman moments.

TDs are a lot closer if you add Hooker’s rushing TDs. Stroud also stacked TDs against garbage teams.

19. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I do think drops like Hyatt had could keep him from wining Biletnikoff. Harrison Jr doesn’t drop the ball and isn’t schemed wide open as much as Hyatt.

20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Harrison jr won the Biletnikoff in August

HCKevinSteele, utvol0427, IP and 2 others like this.