How Participation Trophies Are Making Kids Soft

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by CardinalVol, Aug 2, 2015.

1. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Yeah losers, I got mine and I'm keeping it. You mollycoddlers just keep on giving out your "all are winners" trophies. What is really amusing is they have the effect of making your little Johnnie and his other overly sheltered playmates more like "all losers".

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

The analogy doesn't work at all.

3. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Didn't for me either.

4. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

That tells me you have never played competitive sports. It took me next to no time as a kid to realize who I wanted to play big games with and who I wanted as far away from me as possible when the stage got big.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

I did play competitive sports. Some people are natural losers, but I don't think people are natural winners.

6. Low Country Vol

Low Country Vol Contributor

You know a natural winner or loser from observing the youth rec leagues. There are some kids just participating because mommy and daddy signed them up to post cute Facebook photos. Then you got the handful of kids keeping score in their heads trying to "win" and feeling disgusted knowing they "lost" with no official score.
    It's the rec leagues officials and the helicopter parents to an extent brainwashing these kids that there are no real winners or losers at such a young age. It's the kids that aren't listening to these people that are the natural winners.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  7. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

This reminded me of rec league basketball when I was a kid. Our league turned the scoreboard off once a team was up 25 or more. That really pissed my friends and I off so once we were up 25 we started playing harder.

8. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

That would piss me off if I was on the losing team. I mean really piss me off.

How old were you?

9. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Liberals are making our kids softer. That and global warming.

10. NorrisAlan

When you warm something up, it naturally gets softer.

11. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

See, NorrisAlan gets it.

12. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

10 ish.

13. Volnbama

Volnbama Contributor

We have a local Upward league that doesn't keep score in some age groups...what's the point of playing?

14. NorrisAlan

I think it all depends on the age. Once you hit 7-8 years old, keeping score becomes important.

15. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

My son last year, at age 4, got the game winning hit in 4-6 year old tee ball and got mobbed by the 6 year olds. He quickly realized he'd done something very important and was happy.

We were watching the Cards play yesterday, and after Moss' walk off, I asked him if he remembered doing that last year. Grinning from ear to ear, "yup!"

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

You almost got it. When I get hard your ladies get warmer. There it is. The liberal conspiracy.

17. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

As early as I can remember playing tee ball, I remember wanting to win, and we would all ask the coach, "did we win?" I don't know if we knew what winning was, but we knew we wanted to.

18. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Guy I coached with this past spring teeball season was all about having fun and could care less about winning. The kids (5-6 yr olds) asked if we won and he looked at each of them and responded with, "did you guys have fun?!?!!?" and then followed it up with "well then we won because we had fun!!!" while to scoreboard is right next to us and we got destroyed 20-something to 3 or so. That pissed the parents off and I couldn't believe (well, I can now) he said/did that.

19. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

We had a coach like that.

Only go to 19 on them though, we were aiming for 20. Unfortunately one of their kids was able to knock a ball down headed for the fence otherwise that cost us that run.

20. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Not that I would, but he hasn't asked me to help coach this fall. I know he's coaching so maybe it was understood that I wasn't too keen on his way of doing things.