How Participation Trophies Are Making Kids Soft

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by CardinalVol, Aug 2, 2015.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I think you've already talked about it, but I assume he didn't work for the kids to improve either?

One thing I've learned is that if you help try to imrpove the kids, lots of parents will let you do about whatever you want, as long as they are workign to get better.

2. CardinalVol

I'm aslo the dad that just told his son's new principal that if he needed anything, call me. If my kid was causing trouble, beat him for all I care, do what it takes, and call and let me know so I can also help to take care of it.

3. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Yep and yep. Sad really...three kids who played for the first time this past spring (and really progressed despite his way of doing things) won't be playing again...at least not any time soon. That's the kind of stuff that really leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

4. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Is there any other way to be? My wife got onto me afterwards but I said the same thing to my son's teacher during orientation. I also reminded him that if he gets in trouble at school he will get it when he gets home. Coming home with any color below green (good) is unacceptable.

5. CardinalVol

Oh, we meet teachers Thursday night. She'll be told the same thing.

6. CardinalVol

Seriously, that sucks. Honestly. That sucks. Annoys me to no end.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

No one is going to beat my child. So ya, there is other ways to be. I went to schools that still paddled. It's medieval.

8. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

FWIW, I don't think they're allowed to paddle anymore....he (my son) doesn't know that though. More than anything else it establishes the tone if you get my drift.

9. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

In Tennessee you can still paddle but some schools systems have polices against it

10. CardinalVol

Yup.

True story - I Was the last kid my dad paddled in 1993. They started in school suspension shortly thereafter. Kids who got sent there begged to get paddled instead. It was literally like going down into a dungeon to get there.

In all honesty, if a teacher gives him a stern look he'll straighten up. I'm not overly worried about it.

Now when the little girl starts school...........................it may take an anvil dropped on her head. Different kids require different punishments.

11. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

I can honestly say I find that very surprising (that they can still paddle).

12. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I disagree with the medieval part but think it is poor policy unless everyone is on board

13. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

I agree. Like Card said, some kids require it while others don't. My 6 year old does from time to time.

14. CardinalVol

Tell my kid he can't play on the playground. That's all the threat he'll need for the time being.

15. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

I remember one year we got plaques that had our stats on them. The kid that had a .000 batting average cried.

16. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

That's awesome.

17. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Good. He should have.

18. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Good luck with that.

19. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Yes, he should have. In addition to being horribly unathletic, he was also horrible at life. Never liked that kid.

20. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Trophies for everyone is an utterly idiotic idea, as is the no keeping of score, which is what they were doing in my son's rec soccer league still for the 11 year old kids. That's crazy and he was 7 at the time and bored out of his mind by playing for nothing, so we got him into competitive teams as soon as possible. He needed competition and real validation for real work and accomplishments, which is what kids should have anyway.

However, if people are going to get into a tizzy about only the winners getting trophies and valuing nothing else, then create awards for something tangible, at least. Create a goal for the kid to work for and give him something if he hits it. I mean, if you have to give the kid a reward for something, might as well make him earn it. Do something along the lines of acknowledging a terrible hitter for improving his batting average by 150 point or whatever.

Something has to be done because we are raising an ever more difficult generation of entitled kids who demand instant gratification, rewards for minimal accomplishments and a universe of self-involved delusionals (The amount they overestimate their athletic ability, intelligence, etc. is astounding.). And that is totally the fault of the adults, 100%, especially the parents.