How Participation Trophies Are Making Kids Soft

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by CardinalVol, Aug 2, 2015.

1. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I envy y'all that lived in neighborhoods, a little bit. Only had me and my brother, and the occasional couple of cousins. We made up a damn good baseball-related game that we could play 1-on-1 though, until the pitcher would wear a bald spot in grandmother's yard

2. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Still laughing.

3. JohnnyQuickkick

he's a national treasure, or something, at least

4. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Ahh yes. Montvale park, which was actually known to nobody as Montvale Park, and to everybody as "The Jaycee Field", was where it all happened. Great memories.

5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

And here I was thinking I was mad at the kid in soccer who was in another world and let the other team's best player get to 1 on 1 against our goalie one game.

6. kidbourbon

Even though there were no state little league tournaments lost because of the terribleness of the kid in question, I still wholeheartedly cosign the bolded part.

7. kidbourbon

There's always one kid that just wanders around aimlessly. And that same kid played baseball. He played in the outfield and ate grass while sitting indian style with his back to home plate.

8. CardinalVol

I enjoy the kid who just starts crying for no reason. It's cute, as long as he isn't on my team. I, thiankfully, did not have one of those in the spring.

I was helping with 6-7 year old evaluations for coach pitch last weekend and a kid walks up to the plate to hit, stands on the plate, and looks at me standing behing him on the backstop. After quickly realizing this kid had not the first clue about baseball, I realize that he's going to need some help. So I ask him if he's right or left handed. He says I don't know. I ask which had he writes with. He says he doesn't know. I finally has to ask him if he colored with a crayon, which hand would he use. He finally raised his right hand. I kind of felt sorry for the kid. I have no idea what his talent is, but I can already tell you what it isn't.

9. JohnnyQuickkick

I'll just leave this here. watch it until the end.

[​IMG]

10. kidbourbon

That's pretty funny.

11. kidbourbon

Hahaha

12. CardinalVol

The mom emailing asking me what it meant her son was on the red team takes the early cake though.

13. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Steelers' James Harrison strips kids of non-winning participation trophies

I came home to find out that my boys received two trophies for nothing, participation trophies! While I am very proud of my boys for everything they do and will encourage them till the day I die, these trophies will be given back until they EARN a real trophy. I'm sorry I'm not sorry for believing that everything in life should be earned and I'm not about to raise two boys to be men by making them believe that they are entitled to something just because they tried their best...cause sometimes your best is not enough, and that should drive you to want to do better...not cry and whine until somebody gives you something to shut u up and keep you happy. #harrisonfamilyvalues

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...ids-participation-trophies-says-awards-earned

14. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

His story is the epitome of what he's enforcing. I can dig it.

15. MWR

MWR Contributor

Careful. He may be a skillful counterpuncher.

16. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

It would be the first thing he's ever been good at.

17. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

/thread

18. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Good parenting.

19. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Quote Originally Posted by hatvol96 View Post
    Had a kid I grew up with who made an error that cost us a spot in the state Little League tournament. He then proceeded to later hit about .180 for his high school career and sucked every bit as bad defensively. I won't have a conversation with the son of a [itch bay] to this day. The mere thought of how awful he was makes me want to go to his house and punch him in the mouth.

I am still laughing at this, the mental picture of you knocking on his door and him saying "hey dude, how are you ........f**k what was that for?" and you just walking away.

20. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Knock knock. Pow!! Walks into the sunset.