How Romney loses

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by JayVols, Sep 11, 2012.

1. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I don't think Obama will win it, per se. I think Romney will lose it. Aside from his many other feaux pas, this is the heart of the matter, imo:

http://m.yahoo.com/w/ygo-frontpage...oors&view=today&.tsrc=yahoo&.intl=us&.lang=en

Things haven't improved at the pace anyone is happy with, but most Americans realize that the cause of The Great Recession was not Obama's fault. This income/wealth gap that is growing faster than 8th members are becoming orange dogs and jumping on the wagon is the fly in the ointment of past trends of an UE rate above 8% and the painfully slow recovery making the traditional "It's the economy, stupid" a suggestion rather than a rule. In the end, they will not trust another ridiculously rich guy that has been living high on the hog while so many have suffered to address the obscene income and wealth gaps in their favor. Barring a major economic setback, this is how I see it going down.

2. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Obama is millionaire many times over. Not sure why he'd be so much more empathetic to the average man's plight.

3. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Obama isn't seen as a millionaire, as Romney is, who seems to be defined by it.

I can't disagree with anything you say, Jay.

Barring something completely unexpected, including Romney's sudden gaining a clarity of his own candidacy, and that he has thus far lacked (quick: name three things Romney stands for), this one appears almost over. That I can say this at all, much less at the beginning of September, and with very little hesitation, is a testament to the late-term abortion of a campaign that they've ran thus-far.

4. JayVols

You really can't see the difference, or you don't want to see the difference? Sure Obama is wealthy, but he is not 'of Wall St'. Romney is Wall St personified. Like it or not, right or wrong, Wall St's rep is pretty shitty right now.

5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I like the idea of a guy that's basically never had a job outside politics less, but you are probably right.

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

How is Obama addressing the wealth gap?

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Catchy slogans?

8. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

It's funny people see him that way considering that Wall St got him elected in the first place.

9. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I want to know why he didn't raise taxes on the rich in late 2010 when the Bush tax cuts were about to expire and Democrats held both houses and the Presidency. Raise the rates. There was nothing that Republicans could have done. Don't wait two years to make it a campaign issue when you didn't do it when you had the opportunity.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

You really want to go down this road? Glass house for Republicans.

11. JayVols

Lol. I was not intending to be partisan at all. I am not trying to say something is right or wrong. This is the way I perceive it going down. Throwing out barbs and ignoring the situation as it exists is exactly the reason why Romney will lose.

LJ:

I wasn't saying that was my view. That is what I see many folks' view to be. Everyone knows my politics here, but I was just throwing out an analysis. I wasn't making difinitive statements or personal views. The "he's a business guy" isn't much of an asset given the article I referenced to many voters. I am not saying Obama is great. Not at all. I am saying that this is the climate we find ourselves in right now.

12. JayVols

Yeah. Do like the Republicans and follow through with all the campaign promises like they did in the aerly 2000s when they had control. That's why abortion is illegal now. Thank goodness at least one party follows through with all their campaign promises.....

That was intended to be partisan.

13. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

How is this a campaign promise? It's the exact opposite.

And to be clear - at this point I'm just as sick of one party as I am the other. I've all but publicly declared myself a conservative independent after the aura of the GOP convention wore off.

14. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

fyp

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

His economic advisors told him it would torpedo the economy even further. Now apparently it's the key to economic prosperity and a thriving middle class.

16. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I understand, I was referring to the incredible intellect of the general electorate. It's the "this is the reason Romney is terrible, never mind the fact that there is massive overlap between him and Obama" and vise versa mentality that both sides use ad nauseam.

17. JayVols

Insert "right or wrong" before every statement. This is the 2012 Presidential election as I see it in a, albeit a rather large, nutshell:

There is an interesting dichotomy going on in this election, to say the least. Romney is viewed as "them" by the "them against us" crowd. Obama is not one of "us" either, but he did come from further back than Romney making him more palatable, so to speak. Romney represents the privilege of wealth to about 50% of the electorate. It's up to him to change that image in 3-4% of the voters' eyes. He's doing a piss poor job in his attempt. Attacking "catchy phrases" from the Obama camp isn't going to be enough to accomplish what he needs to accomplish. Political talk is as cheap and overrated as Facebook stock in times like these. People want action, any action. The huge elephant in the room (pun intended) is that Romney and the Republicans in general seem to think that calling Obama a foreign-born, Koran-toting, America-hating fascist commie son of an African giggolo empty shirt enough times will convince that 3-4% to vote for Mitt. What they fail to realize is that Obama is viewed favorably by a majority of Americans that disregard such rhetoric as this- even among those swing voters that aren't voting for Obama in November. This strategy only accomplishes the task of throwing red meat to the group of people that would vote for (insert any person universally viewed as reprehensible here) over Obama. It comes off as petty bush league tactics to the very group that he needs to turn to his favor. Obama is the personally popular incumbent. He has the home field advantage that's good for a couple of percentage points. Sure the economy is bad, but it's better than when he took office. The growing wealth gap that's been happening for decades lessens the "it's the economy stupid" or outright negates it because the 3-4%ers Romney needs are beginning to see it as an entrenched systemic problem rather than a problem caused by a man in charge for three years.. When ordinary folks are scraping by and looking for a job see corporations raking in record profits and still aren't hiring, the "bad economy" is negated in large part if not completely. The "bad economy" is effecting them, but apparently not the fat cats in their corporate offices. The cat's been let out of the bag that the "job creators" are holding off hiring due to "uncertainty" (read until Obama is hopefully out of office) despite strong, often record profits. Obama isn't going to get the blame, and if this is truly an attempt to unseat Obama, it will blow up horribly in their faces. Personal or even policy attacks are not going to work in this climate. Fence-sitters are going to go for the devil they know over the devil they do not. People are nervous and scared. They are looking for common sense solutions that will improve their lives not grade schoolish playground name-calling. If Romney wants a snowball's chance in hell, he'll start putting out his policies in detail. He also must be able to communicate precisely how those policies will improve the average voter's lives in direct, simple language my 9 year old could understand. I don't feel like he is willing or capable to do that. He is the "them", born into wealth and privilege. He can't identify with someone who's slice of the American pie is shrinking rapidly no more than I could identify with folks of privilege like him. Every attempt he makes trying to do so comes across as awkward and disingenuous- see trees are the right height type comments. He's a stiff suit that has no idea what it's like to worry about where your family's next meal, paycheck, or ability to pay for a doctor's visit is going to come from. His campaign is a testament to my assertions.

While Obama is no more a blue collar guy as Romney, he has an advantage. He isn't viewed as a product of wealth and privilege. He may not be able to sympathize with folks suffering hardships, but he can empathize with them. Most of all, he can express that in a way that can be seen as genuine. A lot of folks make comments about "Teleprompter Jesus" or question his oratory skills. I don't think he's some great speaker of words, BUT he is a great purveyor of empathy. He may not be as eloquent as some, but he can successfully get his message across in a believable fashion. He may not be Bill "I feel your pain" Clinton, but he's much much much better at that game than Mitt "I'm a rich kid that is uncomfortable and clumsy around those not in my circle" Romney. That will be Obama's boon and Romney's undoing.

ncmedicman likes this.
  18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Obama didn't have his fair share of legs up in life from HS to law school? And when has romney implied that Obama is foreign born? He has rightfully pointed out he is anti business and his "job saving" policies haven't done squat.

19. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Yeah, all this "get specific and quit blaming the last guy" stuff sounds awfully familiar. Seems like I might have heard it exactly four years ago.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

Huh? You don't think people were specific in their criticisms of W. Bush or McCain?