How Romney loses

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by JayVols, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Two things about the wealth gap.

1. People are living longer and we have more old people then ever due to baby boomers. Most of the wealth is held in this demographic which increases the gap due to the increase in this groups population.

2. The increase in the break down of the family unit. We have a high divorce rate and a higher number of kids being born out of wedlock. This could be the biggest factor in the wealth gap. Instead of one house and set of bills, you now have two or more draining resources taking away from wealth building.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

I agree that both things are factors. But I disagree with my perceived understanding that you believe them to be the principle factors.

3. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

The driving factor is the housing bubble and shifting economy.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

The principle factors have absolutely nothing to do with anything Obama is talking about.

5. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Sigh, I was talking about perceptions not my views or trying to play the "yeah, but your guy did this" blame game. It wasn't my intent to blast Romney. I was simply pointing out what I felt he was facing and needed to do to overcome it. I know I'm guilty too, but we can't have a ****ing adult conversation in this country anymore without one side or the other trying to shit on the other guy's candidate. If you took my post as an attack on Romney or support of Obama on my behalf, you're wrong.

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

It's our lack of competitiveness for unskilled labor.

7. JayVols

The first was the match that lit the fuse. The second is the explosives that blew up, imo. This is....nevermind.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Bubbles have been a common part of open economies forever. They all have similar patterns. Like the belief it will never end. If the banks truly knew that these mortgages were going under they wouldn't have owned hundreds of billions of them. But even if the evil bankers had it in for the little guy the wealth gap existed well before the housing crisis and the rich on average lost money too. They just had more left afterwords.

9. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Which is why I don't believe in a national minimum wage.

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Raising the minumum wage helps illegal immigrants and students. That's pretty much it.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Please explain how the minimum wage helps illegal immigrants without defeating your own argument about minimum wage being unnecessary.

12. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

It helps big business too. It hurts small business more than big business.

13. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Because it sets the floor price that an individual can sell their labor. I worked a lot of farm jobs in high school for under minimum wage. If we would have had a high immigration population in my area, I doubt I would have got those jobs.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

So it helps people who work for illegal wages, including you when you were young.

To say it helps illegal immigrants is just another of proclaiming a law doesn't stop someone who doesn't follow the law. No crap.

15. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Obama wasn't specific about his plans to achieve hope and change.

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

The reason I point out that your guy did it, too, is because your guy won.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

Too bad no one had a coherent plan to run against him with.

18. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

McCain could have given the US access to his private diamond mine valued at $200 trillion and he wouldn't have won.

19. JayVols

He is my guy because he sucks the least, imo. Both candidates are shit if you boil it down. My guy didn't have all the obstacles I mentioned with that 3-4% that decides elections in 2008. Obama has obstacles for sure, but he's liked. Mitt isn't. Stupid way to decide a President, but it's the reality we live in.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

Also, the 3rd party factor is working against conservatives these days.