How Romney loses

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by JayVols, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I'm pro-immigration, so I don't see illegal immigrants any different than any other group. They're doing what they think is in their best interest. They fill a need in the market that the minimum wage law creates.

My issue is that the minimum wage law does more to keep people in poverty, and keeps the indvidual from being in charge of their labor.

2. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Gary Johnson could really hurt Mitt in some key states.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Explain this to me.

4. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

It increases the labor cost. Employers offset that cost by hiring less people, using more machines, or charging more for their service/ product.

People in poverty have a higher chance of going to a failing school, and not having a lot of job skills. Which leads to them being priced out of the market, from the price limit set on labor by the government. This keeps them from learning skills that a low paying job can provide, while making an income.

5. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Have you read Eric Foner's Story of American Freedom?

6. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I think if there is one area that Obama will definitely not win with voters, it will be the economy. This talk of, "if we change course, we're going to lose all the progress we've made" isn't going to resonate when it seems to the average person that we've made exactly no progress.

7. JayVols

Normally, I would agree. I just don't see Romney selling himself enough. There's plenty of anger/blame to go around, but I think the wealth gap (this isn't hating on rich folks) changes the normal circumstances. I said earlier that I don't think enough people will trust a filthy rich guy who is perceived by many as part of the problem. Just the vibe I'm getting now. It will be very close one way or the other. If Romney does win, I could see the popular vote go to Obama and the electoral vote go to Romney. If so, look for concerted efforts to shit-can the electoral college.

My Foner question isn't a trap question, btw. Just curious because something you said rang a bell.

8. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I think what will resonate is that Romney a very successful businessman and Paul Ryan's another economic guru. I think the GOP clearly wins the economy with voters; however, I believe if Romney loses, it will be due to the fact that many people simply don't connect with him like they do Obama. I think the debates will decide the election this year. Ought to be extremely interesting.

9. JayVols

I don't agree with Ryan's guru status, but Romney is undeniably successful. The lack of a connection is part of what I was getting at with the not trusting him to make the lives of those hurting better. I agree that whoever connects the best wins. That's Romney's achillies heel, imo. While Obama's the the painfully slow recovery.

10. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I think Ryan is absolutely an economic guru. Reasonable minds can disagree as to what he proposes to do, but his command of the numbers and knowledge is undeniable. It's safe to say that he runs circles around Joe Biden on the economy. By guru, I guess I'm actually meaning expert.

11. JayVols

I could probably run circles around Joe. Lol. I can't remember what the exact part it was, but I remember as many assumptions in his plan as for funding Obamacare. It's no secret what I think about more tax cuts for the wealthy, and his plan calls for that increasing the deficit more before climbing out of the hole. Historic low taxes didn't prevent the depths of the meltdown and they haven't cured the issue after 12 years. Seems like a no-brainer to me. Americans faced with the choice of his medicare and social security cuts coupled with more tax relief for those that don't need it is Obama's wet dream and a losing strategy as I see it.

12. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I believe it cuts $700 billion from Medicare, and we're already seeing that doctors are beginning to refuse to take medicare patients as a result of Obamacare. I think it's very possible that Ryan and Romney are on the right side of that debate as well.

13. JayVols

Time will tell. It won't be boring for sure.

14. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Romney won't win clearly on the economy. Where are you getting this? Obama has either tied or slightly leads on opinions regarding the economy. Poll Watch: Obama and Romney tied on economy in new polls - latimes.com

Romney doesn't connect on the economy because he has no real effective plan that he's been able to express. He had his first chance at the convention and chose, instead, to spend the time to humanize himself. Few people give a shit about his business experience now, especially considering many view his business as a vulture capital enterprise, and I can't imagine that miraculously changing in a month and a half. He better be a helacious debater to counteract his deficiencies, at this point, but I simply can't see him running circles around Obama (nor will Ryan with Biden, either).

And, I also disagree that the economy isn't better now than it was four years ago. People must have amnesia, but we were near a second Great Depression and hemorrhaging jobs by the hundreds of thousands, whereas now it's bad when we don't add enough jobs. People are just as much wont to blame intransigent Republicans for their obstruction as they are Obama on the economy and, if Romney can't sell a vision of his future economic plans instead of representing simply more Republican-bashing of Obama, then he is toast.

As far as Medicare goes, you realize that $700 billion was part of the Ryan plan, too, right? Also, not one benefit has been cut out of the program. Clinton said it best with the line about brass ones and Ryan.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Who else works at McDonalds or Subway besides illegal immigrants and college students? Everyone else makes more than minimum wage.

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

What's obama's plan for helping the economy? Taxing the rich?

I think he doesn't get credit because the great depression risk was maybe 2 months and the other 3 years of his presidency have had the same horrid job growth. And Bernake and Bush (he did tarp remember despite obama taking credit for it) is largely credited for avoiding financial disaster.

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

And Romney does have an economic plan. Making the country business friendly again. He has an awful lot of former Obama supporting businessmen on his side too. Now if you want to argue the American people are too dumb to realize that is the way out of this mess I would agree.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Illegal immigrants do not work at McDonalds or Subway.

So, if everyone else makes above minimum wage anyway, how is it killing our labor market again?

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

What? Of course they do. Are you serious? Where do you think 4 mil people are finding jobs? Digging ditches? I can tell you don't live in a border state.

Who said it would kill the labor market? Not me. my argument is raising the minimum wage does nothing to cure the wealth gap. It hurts jamba juice and burger king and would hurt the job market for students, but in reality has no effect whatsoever. That is unless you start raising it to $25 an hour.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I hope you're not serious