If/When Dooley gets fired.....

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by MaconVol, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

He's the one I wanted last time

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yes

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I wanted Hoke or Kippy to have a one year interview

4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Welcome aboard.

All opinions are welcome, but you better be able to defend it. That's really all that's required.

5. CardinalVol

5 years tops you think?

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

That's what I have heard

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I really like him too.

8. CardinalVol

Same rumblings I have.

9. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

No famous Tenny D "initiation"?

10. CardinalVol

I didn't want to run him off right off the bat.

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Welcome

12. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

If James Franklin beats our ass like he should have had this year and takes Vandy to another bowl I think his name belongs in the discussion.

13. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

If James Franklin puts Vanderbilt in contention for the east, finishes with 9 or 10 wins, and is recruiting like mad, he will have given his proponents some reason to admire him. If, instead, he continues to go 2-6, finish 5th in the conference, and almost beat the worst UT team since the invention of the facemask while his admirers pretend that close losses to good teams are accomplishments, I don't think he should receive any more consideration than Bobby Johnson or Woody Widenhoffer.

14. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

Temple homer imo, jhmho, iyam, gbo, VFL!

In all seriousness, Golden would be my first legit choice (meaning I call Stoops, Gruden, etc, but after they say no, he's the first guy I'd really throw out some serious offers too). Whoever was talking about it is right that there are a lot of potentials that have essentially the same qualifications as Smart, but I just think Smart would use us as a springboard. I think someone like Strong would be more likely to settle in at Tennessee (Florida would be my only worry with him). I still would throw cash at Patterson until I ran out or he said yes.

15. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Spot on. He hasn't yet done as well as Bobby Johnson's best year.

16. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

[uck fay] that.

17. KingWebbsticles

KingWebbsticles Chieftain

My list was never a serious list. I was pointing out that the OP had Kirby Smart 3rd on a list, behind two unrealistic candidates (Gruden and Stoops). So, essentially, KS was his first realistic choice. I was attempting to show that there are many other, more proven options that should be above KS in line.

My first call. Just to see if anything on earth would bring him.

Call number two. We are in a much better position now than 3 years ago. The drug thing at TCU may have him rethinking things as well.

I think you are understating the two (would be three) years as a HC. That is 3 years of learning how to be a HC that Strong doesn't have to do. Also, his recruiting ties would be priceless. There could be a potential problem with Strong's defense and Sunseri's defenses lining up.

Why wouldn't he leave Miami? NCAA investigation around the school and a bad cultural fit for Golden.

Head coaching experience. Leading teams to national championships (1-AA), taking over a shitty UVA squad and showing real improvement in year 2. Just because coaches are young doesn't mean that the little experience they have can be thrown out for no reason. Doubt he'd leave Virginia though.

That is my list and in order. Should DD stay a few more years, I'd also look to add Greg Schiano, should he fail at Tampa Bay.

18. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

The problem with Golden (and maybe Schiano) is Penn State. The guy there now is basically set up to fail and be the traditional post-legend loser. He'll be gone in 2-4 seasons and Golden and Schiano are at the top of the list for their alma mater.

19. KingWebbsticles

KingWebbsticles Chieftain

Yeah but isn't that problem going to exist for every coach.

Strong - UF
    Smart - UGA
    London - getting him away from UVA

This problem will always exist

20. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

LOL...gonna ride this one out to see where it goes........Jo, you're a baaaaad boy.