"Intelligent Design" and "Irreducible complexity"

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jul 3, 2013.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

[video=youtube;W96AJ0ChboU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=W96AJ0ChboU[/video]

This video is masterful in its simplicity and conversational tone. It also addresses the often-repeated examples of "irreducible complexity" in organisms that creationists raise.

2. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Why do evolutionists continue to place intelligent design with creationism?

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Could you describe for me how they are not separate ideas?

4. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

They're the same thing.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

They seem strongly related, at least. But I think Rockytop is saying they aren't, and I am interested to hear more.

6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

You can't believe that God created the Universe, but also that we evolved from a more simple species?

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

So creationism doesn't necessarily preclude evolution? Is that what you are saying? I could see that. But Intelligent design does need creationism, so there is a strong connection.

8. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

L
    As a deist, creationism absolutely precludes evolution.

Believing in a galaxy imploding to create a universe is just as crazy as believing a supreme being created a universe and let it be.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2013
  9. IP

IP Super Moderator

1. Cosmological hypotheses and theories such as the Big Bang have absolutely nothing at all to do with evolution. Nothing.

2. You say the two are equally crazy, but you've added an extra level of complexity in that you are adding an all powerful all knowing eternal being. Logically, that makes creationism more complex, because you now need to explain how this unobserved super being came to be. And if you go with "he just always was," then you didn't really explain anything at all.

10. InVolNerable

11. InVolNerable

I was slightly intoxicated during that post and not exactly sure what I was trying to get at.

You raise some good points, but I'm going with "he just always was." There are some things I don't care about explanations for.

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Unless "God" is just a metaphor for the Universe, which is nothing more than an organism of unfathomable complexity that is constantly evolving.

13. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

You have to explain how something came into being in either case (in one case, God. In the other, a galaxy that could implode). In the case of God, you have "exists by metaphysical necessity" as an explanation. In the case of a galaxy, that is much less plausible.

14. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

The guy's accent was too hoity toity for me.

What if it's all just a dream?

15. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Suppose there is an omnipresent, omniscient, omnipotent God. Do you think it's possible that his supreme existence is so complex that man is incapable of explaining or understanding? Can a worm explain how man came to be?

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Definitely not a female worm.

17. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

She needs to be worried about making dirt sammiches anyway.

18. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

In which case he doesn't care whether I go balls deep in the cutie at the bar?

19. kidbourbon

What if I used to read "Word Up" magazine?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2013
  20. kidbourbon

Trey Parker the South Park guy.

Parker: Basically ... out of all the ridiculous religion stories which are greatly, wonderfully ridiculous — the silliest one I've ever heard is, 'Yeah ... there's this big giant universe and it's expanding, it's all gonna collapse on itself and we're all just here just 'cause ... just 'cause'. That, to me, is the most ridiculous explanation ever.

Food for thought.