"Intelligent Design" and "Irreducible complexity"

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jul 3, 2013.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I wouldn't think an infinite being would put something on earth that couldn't figure out a way to live. The dumb and worthless gets weeded out and the smart/useful/necessary survive

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

There is nothing plausible about an infinite being, imo.

But let's say an infinite being designed all these mechanisms/processes. To what are you comparing them to to determine they are ID? How do we know? And if they are designed by a creator, what does fecundity in ecology, and other inescapable truths of biology of a Malthusian nature say about him/her/it?

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

And why would people of the exact same faith of you feel differently for 1800 years, interpreting the Bible as saying just the opposite: creation is immutable?

God and religion are place holders for knowledge we don't have. As new knowledge is gained, the placeholders get moved along to make it all make sense.

4. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

For the sake of asking, are you talking about humanity?

5. OrangeEmpire

That is the red herring in the room.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ok. Why is it a red herring? If everything is ID, what are we comparing it to, to know?

7. OrangeEmpire

An infinite all knowing god

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

No, I mean give me an example of something that isn't ID. Otherwise, you are proving my point that this isn't science. This is just a claim of creationism.

9. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

The scientific community's explanations/consensus will always be moving targets. What's logical and understood today is replaced by something different tomorrow. You see magic and I see something that hasn't changed over the course of history in its explanation.

10. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

And or roadblock for some people.

11. OrangeEmpire

I pretty sure I agree with you.

Constant battle I have.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Really? Hasn't changed? What about the beliefs of the Sumerians, which predate the writing of Genesis? Could you explain to me how light and dark are in need of separating? How and why was light around before the creation of the sun and stars, and why can't we see that light today? How did liquid water and plants exist before the creation of the sun? Why is the moon described as a source of light, when we know that it isn't? Why is the order of the creation of life contradicted by the geologic record? Did animals get created before man, or after him? The Bible says both. Who did Adam and Eve's sons marry?

The "unchanging" story doesn't make any ****ing sense.

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Sort of like theories, or is that a hypothesis?

14. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

So much time spent trying to prove something doesn't exist.

15. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

If you are going to start 500 unprompted threads about religion, don't refer to its ideas as "childish".

You are the preacher that used to stand on the steps of the Hodges Library and tell everyone they are going to hell.

16. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

No, I cannot explain all of these things to you and even if I could I doubt it would be to your satisfaction. Regardless, you missed the point I was trying to make in that my reference for the origin of life and similar topics has not changed in what it says. Man's interpretation may have but the text has not.

17. g8terh8ter_eric

g8terh8ter_eric Contributor

Pretty simple right there.

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

not nearly as much time as 2 hours every sunday trying to prove something does exist.

19. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Trying to prove to all those nonbelievers in the church, or just a horrible point?

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

IP is trying to convert people?