IP's Religious Training, Vol IX

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

But what of the child who can't quite be certain if the boogeyman exists, and despite a strong preference that he does not....refuses the ambiguity of the unknown, however small and transient, and stands with the door agape, demanding that he show himself, no matter what such may mean. Surely, there is courage in that.

And doesn't the child's continuous and sincere challenging of any closet door - or the claims of those observers whom stand around it, assuring him of its existence - no matter how many times he may have already done the same, and without result, speak to not only the existence but the exercising of some degree of faith, on his behalf, however small?

Perhaps even that which were so small as to risk being mistaken for a mustard seed.

2. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

All this talk of closets made me wonder if I could add value to this conversation. It appears I was off.

3. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Ha!

4. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

strong work.

5. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Bravo.

6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

He has said he is certain there is no god. Thus, I don't see this analogy as appropriate.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

I did?

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't know about "few" being more desiring, but I do wish he did (assuming he was a good entity) in some ways.

9. Tenacious D

The Hound, IP, is truly relentless.

10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Unfortunately your username is too few characters for the search function.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

I said I was "pretty sure." I have never claimed to have proof of the lack of any gods. I have said I am certain that the Christian god as described in full in Judeo-christian tradition doesn't exist.

12. Tenacious D

#ipgetsit

13. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I don't think that's such a far cry from what I said.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

I am not trying to be difficult here, but I guess it comes far too easily to me. The phrasing is very important between the two. Being certain/sure there is no god is very different from being certain/sure that there is no god as described by Christianity/Judaism/Islam/every religion I have ever become familiar of to date. I strongly suspect there is no god of any kind. But I am not certain or sure of it. Some would label me an agnostic atheist (as opposed to a gnostic atheist).

15. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I accept your explanation without argument as it does not affect my earlier metaphor.

16. Tenacious D

What's to argue, Older Brother?

17. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

19. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

[video=youtube;M7TzMbRGm5M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7TzMbRGm5M[/video]

[​IMG]