IP's Religious Training, Vol IX

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Aug 13, 2013.

1. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

2. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

[video=youtube;gndH9mhHPk0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gndH9mhHPk0&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

3. OrangeEmpire

Jeremiah Bannister for you!

[video=youtube;DoPbnUUZgt8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoPbnUUZgt8[/video]

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

This guys puts more effort into ignorance than I have ever seen.

5. OrangeEmpire

I love him arguing with the anonymous commentors

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

I liked his fictional shotgun wielding militant atheist with nylon over his head and a deep woods southern accent. Classy!

7. OrangeEmpire

The catholic bit is classy

8. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

There is a chance the universe is infinite in size. A space the size of my body has approximately 10^10^80 (a 1 followed by 10^80 zeroes, a REALLY big number) different quantum states, thus only that many different physical configurations. A lump of rock the shape of my body, me, all different portions of the ocean the size of me, the intestine of a whale about my size, etc.

Therefore, if you go out far enough, you will run into an exact copy of the thing typing this sentence on my computer right NOW. Now, picture all the different quantum states over time that I have had since I was conceived, a bazillion crap load of Planck Times.

You go out a googolplex meters (10^10^100 m), there is a chance you will run into a duplicate of yourself.

This is all hypothetical, of course, but an interesting thing to just think about if you believe in a permanent, indestructible soul.

9. OrangeEmpire

WTF

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

What your describing isn't a soul, imo

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Boy, this is a whole 'nother kind of religious challenge than what I am used to, though.

12. OrangeEmpire

Can you translate all of that into english?

13. NorrisAlan

As a Buddhist, I do not believe in a permanent, indestructible soul. Everything is transient.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

He's saying if the universe/multiverse is infinite and all things possible are actually happening somewhere, then we are all in existence somewhere all the time. I don't think it is a soul, and someone/thing just like me being in another dimension or another place is still not me. The IP that watched the World Cup yesterday isn't me anymore.

15. NorrisAlan

Because of the Planck Length (smallest space in the Universe, as anything smaller is indistinguishable from anything else), you can only have so many different combinations of quantum states in something the size of an average human (10^10^80 roughly). Therefore, if you go out far enough, things have to start duplicating because you just run out of different combinations of matter. Ergo, there is a chance that eventually you will run into an exact duplicate of yourself, completely indistinguishable from you, having the same thoughts, doing the same exact stuff you are doing.

Hypothetically, of course.

16. OrangeEmpire

Awesome

Star Trek "Mirror, Mirror"

17. OrangeEmpire

Got to dumb it down, I got 5 words in and shut down.

18. NorrisAlan

OK, say you are made up of 20 blocks. You can arrange those blocks in only so many ways until you HAVE to start making duplicates. Now increase that number up to a lot more blocks until you have 10^10^80 ways to arrange those blocks. Eventually, you will have to start making duplicates.

19. OrangeEmpire

Dum...dum....dum.....dum.........

Cool

20. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

No, because nothingness can extend for infinity.

You are confusing size with dimensions, of which there may only be one.