Iranian Navy threatens, fires warning shots at cargo ship

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by lylsmorr, Apr 28, 2015.

1. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

2. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

They don't want to screw with the Navy. No country wants to screw with the American Naval Forces.

We have the best military in the world, but the edge we hold in Naval forces dwarf every other one on the planet.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Apparently they boarded it as well. USS Farragut is on the way.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Historically, this has been the number 1 way to start a war with the US. I'm not sure why it is such a popular choice, as it has never worked out well.

6. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

Not sure why we would start anything with them over this since its not an American vessel and no one on board is American or even from the Marshall Islands

7. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I remember Suddam Hussein picking a fight with the USA and saying there would be rivers of blood flowing. It would have been true, I guess if his guys weren't tying so many white flags to their weapons.

8. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

We supply their defense as part of their independence from the USA in 1979/1985. Just learned this myself, though I knew the name sounded familiar as part of the island hopping campaign in WWII.

Why Iran would want to poke that hornet's nest is beyond me.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  9. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

Yes, but from my understanding, this isnt a Marshall Island vessel really. Think they are flying the flag, but the vessel is actually from another country and so is the crew.

10. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I have no knowledge of maritime law, but I thought you were under the sovereignty of whichever flag you flew. Maybe someone can correct me.

11. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Thats the interesting part. Makes you wonder if the Iranians knew all that before hand.

12. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

what is the Iranian navy, like, 1 ship?

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

[​IMG]

14. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

some body cue up the team america theme song.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Lots and lots of small boats. Seriously.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

That's not unusual with shipping vessels, though. Don't be shocked to learn that the vessel is owned by a "multinational" corporation whose board members primarily live in the US that flies a Marshall Island flag for tax reasons, knowing our dumb asses will still have their backs.

17. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Apparently that company carries US military/govt cargo

18. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

[​IMG]

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

Seriously:

[​IMG]

20. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

True. And it dovetails with the fact that we've never fought a war on our home turf. Neither is an accident.