Iranian Navy threatens, fires warning shots at cargo ship

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by lylsmorr, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Not to oversimplify (or overstate) things, but the USN sometimes has a different idea of when to intervene, and how, than the State Dept. may prefer or suggest. It's not on-the-fly international relations, per se, as I'm sure that some flag officer shot off a message...at some point...but some situations don't allow for a thorough or complete dialogue.

A naval carrier group has a tremendous degree of autonomy, all things considered.

2. Tenacious D

Imagine you're in a bar with a Bama fan and an LSU fan. The Bama fan starts picking a fight with the LSU guy. You go over and knock the shit out of the Bama fan.

You didn't do that out of some allegiance to the LSU fan...but because they just happened to provide a convenient excuse for you to do what you already wanted to do.

The hat / flag isn't always the impetus for action, in whole or in part.

3. syndicate

syndicate Well-Known Member

1812?

4. Tenacious D

And, directly to the point of the OP article, not only do I hope that the Iranians show their naval might, but I hope that they are joined by the Chinese and Russian navies, too. Unfortunately, they're likely too smart to step on that field, being averse to playing when someone is keeping score. Better to just keep the myth of your "superiority" alive, by sniping from the sidelines.

5. Tenacious D

Technically true, but my point stands.

6. syndicate

syndicate Well-Known Member

If every navy on earth grew balls overnight and wanted to take the USN on, I'd still like our chances.

7. Tenacious D

Without coming off as some ball-swinging Navy-loving hubris, I'll simply say: smart bet.

Not. Even. Close.

8. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I imagine the closest thing to our navy was pre-1992 USSR Navy? And even then, I think ours kicks the shit out of the Soviets.

The US Navy is the single most powerful military force ever conceived. The ability to project targeted force (as opposed to the Air Force's ICBM/B-52 nuclear force) is staggering.

9. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

You mock, but you've never seen them deploy the water skiers.

10. Tenacious D

While I'm not at all familiar with the other branches, I have no reason to suspect that they don't also possess such an astoundingly large advantage, and every strategic initiative, as the Navy definitely enjoys.

A tip of the cap to the other branches, for sure, but it also has the convenience of being true.

BPV and others could expound on this, if necessary.

11. Tenacious D

Hopefully they don't bring out their naval air power (paragliding) or stealth technology (paddle boards).

12. NorrisAlan

I agree.

I think what makes the US Military so powerful, ultimately, is the combination of all the branches. You have unparallelled insertion abilities by stealth air craft that can knock out an enemies radar and ground based operations in the first 24 hours of engagement (Air Force), the ability to project incredible payloads of destruction anywhere in the world (Navy/Marines) and the ability to occupy ground with overpowering mechanized units (Army).

It is a testament to the US that we have not used it more than we have.

But I do believe the US Navy, because of the unique ability to simply move tonnage around, has the ability to project force better than any other military unit in the world. But I am no war historian nor have I ever served, so please take this as a simply outsider looking in.

13. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

The Navy brings the war to you via sea or air.........which makes it very unique and different (better) than any other force in the history of the planet.

14. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Plus they warm bunk.

15. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

Ummmmm, the correct term is "hot rack"

16. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

That doesn't make it any better.

17. NorrisAlan

In fact, that sounds worse.

18. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Unless you're talking a woman's hooters.

19. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

SEALs

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

Water ski troopers.