Is 3-4 enough to get him out?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by IP, Sep 17, 2017.

?

Is 3-4 enough to get Jones out?

1. Yes, 4 losses will be enough to get him fired.

19.0%
  2. Going 3-4 will do it, but 4-3 with a later loss would save him.

9.5%
  3. Only 5 losses on the season will get him out.

23.8%
  4. He'll be back next season as long as he wins 7 games.

47.6%
  1. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

I think this is the line in the sand. It's year 5 - win the division, or best of luck elsewhere. At some point, you have to demonstrate real, measurable progress. When he was hired, he was tweeting out pictures of all his championship rings from the MAC and other rec leagues. The AD communicated that the criteria for the hire was a proven, championship head coach. No more bricks, processes, progresses, journeys, climbs, or youth to discuss...it's championship time.

In 5 years, if you can't get the team to Atlanta to play for a championship, you can't stay here. Knock 'em dead in Toledo next year.

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

And historically, if you don't do it by year 3 you are never going to do it. It is a fascinating search to see how few people win championships if they haven't done it by year 3.

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

People assumed the Georgia game would be a loss.

Then Mark Richt did Mark Richt things

4. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

That game earned him 3 more years. I will never forgive Mark Richt for doing that to us.

5. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I won't even watch Mad About You reruns because of it.

6. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Kirby Smart did Mark Richt things last year or we drop 4 in a row. That might have changed some things, too.

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He had injuries to fall back on last year. I'm not saying it's a legit excuse, but he had that and a Florida victory.

8. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Yep. That was also the week that the rumors about violence to players came out. We beat Georgia and I never heard another mention of them outside the 8th

9. Tar Volon

As much as Butch frustrates me, that was the first game I took my wife to at Neyland. I can't be mad--was so much fun

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Winning cures all

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

He's right. Unfortunately.

This feels different though. Any youth experiences ring hollow when he's turned over the entire roster

12. Tar Volon

And for all of his faults, Butch has had at least one game every season that has made the vast majority of the fanbase legit excited.

Just hoping Currie is a lot better AD than Hart--if so, I could even talk myself into being happy that Butch hung around until this year

13. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Kind of ridiculous to put so much emphasis on beating a coach Phil beat twice in his final three years, Kiffin destroyed, and Dooley almost beat.