POLITICS John McCain, the Loss of an American Hero

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by JayVols, Aug 25, 2018.

1. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

The country has lost a national treasure with the death of John McCain. He unselfishly served his country enduring 5 1/2 years of unthinkable torture at the hands of the North Vietnamese, not the least of which was 2 years of solitary confinement. His refusal to accept being released because of who his father was & Navy regulations is a window to the man's character. McCain was the first to say he was a flawed man, but he undoubtedly was a principled man worthy of respect. I hope his death is not a signal that civility in politics dies with him. I will never forget when he shut down that crazy woman at a town hall in 2008. His refusal to go along with the crackpot character assassination of Obama was a lesson for all politicians regardless of party. We've lost a good and decent man, an American hero. We are poorer as a country today with that loss.

Rest in peace, Senator McCain. You"ve more than earned it.

2. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

He refused special treatment for being an admiral's son while a prisoner of war of the Vietnamese communists, in the face of unspeakable torture. That level of courage and poise is devastatingly humbling. What a man. What a godamn hero and legend. I will not forget his story or service. He was man enough to acknowledge he wasn't perfect, which in a way made him the model civil servant. Every American could learn something about how to be a better American from John McCain.

4. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Was said this morning that a few years after moving to his wife home state of Arizona he decided to run for Senate. Some called him a carpet bagger. His response - The place I have lived the longest is Hanoi Vietnam.

IP likes this.
  5. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

NorrisAlan likes this.
  6. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I'm doing my best to not say a certain something about this, but it does show how a person with honor and integrity, even in politics, can rise above differences and garner immense respect from even his most high profile rivals. I mean, it says quite a bit that he chose the two men whom he lost his most notable elections. This type of respect has been lost in this poisonous environment striding Washington.

I will say I'm a little surprised with Bush, as I thought the 2000 election with Rove pushing the stuff regarding his daughter would have created a lasting resentment, but I guess they buried the hatchet long ago.

7. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Didn't always agree or like McCain the politician, but he was a helluva man I've always respected.

justingroves and utvol0427 like this.
  8. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

9. Tenacious D

This tweet will be my new definition of apropos.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

11. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm just really disappointed in Tenny. Doesn't matter when he posts that "ireport," he gets to judge from outside of a cage.

JayVols likes this.
  13. awebb7

awebb7 Contributor

Do t you know, after 5+ years of torture any man worth his salt would spit on his captors and tell any of that commie scum to suck his american [penis].

Also, super classy move on Trump 86ing the White House press release praising McCain. There is a cowardly, petty, emotionally immature man sleeping in the White House.

JayVols likes this.
  14. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

The ireport is not a verified entry and basically looks like a blog post. Here are some other submissions from author, 14u2env:
    http://ireport.cnn.com/people/14u2env

15. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

If the same person wrote those kind of entries about Trump and Pence, he would dismiss it as "fake news."

JayVols likes this.
  16. awebb7

awebb7 Contributor

Why worry about accuracy if something on the internet fits your dipshitted narrative? Run with it - stubbornly never admit you’re wrong and shout down anyone who disagrees.

JayVols likes this.
  17. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Never having served in the Navy - I would ask Tenny if his opinions on McCain’s time in Vietnam were formed from Navy lore or if those opinions were formed later.

JayVols likes this.
  18. Tenacious D

Both myself and BPV have each spoken publicly on McCain’s time as a POW, and which predates any notion of Trump, his failing health, etc.

19. Tenacious D

U.S. Articles of Code of Conduct

Article I:

I am an American, fighting in the forces which guard my country and our way of life. I am prepared to give my life in their defense.

Article II:

I will never surrender of my own free will. If in command, I will never surrender the members of my command while they still have the means to resist.

Article III:

If I am captured I will continue to resist by all means available. I will make every effort to escape and aid others to escape. I will accept neither parole nor special favors from the enemy.

Article IV:

If I become a prisoner of war, I will keep faith with my fellow prisoners. I will give no information or take part in any action which might be harmful to my comrades. If I am senior, I will take command. If not, I will obey the lawful orders of those appointed over me and will back them up in every way.

Article V:

When questioned, should I become a prisoner of war, I am required to give name, rank, service number and date of birth. I will evade answering further questions to the utmost of my ability. I will make no oral or written statements disloyal to my country and its allies or harmful to their cause.

Article VI:

I will never forget that I am an American, fighting for freedom, responsible for my actions, and dedicated to the principles which made my country free. I will trust in my God and in the United States of America.

Perhaps you read a 5-year limitation in there, somewhere. I do not.

Trump and McCain hated each other.

Hated.

McCain didn’t want Trump at his funeral. Trump will gladly oblige.

Perhaps it isn’t Trump’s actions on the statement (which I’ve not seen for myself, but trust you) that are the problem, but that you prefer pleasantries to realities, instead.

McCain will have a highly honored and heavily attended funeral. His memory will be fine.

20. Tenacious D

Read the second link. Those are official statements and a foreign cable or two.

Believe it or not, as long as you feel good about it.