Lenny Dykstra Extorted Umps

Discussion in 'Sports' started by VolDad, Oct 27, 2015.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

Major League Baseball ceased to interest me when the Expos ceased to exist.

2. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Don't be surprised if they exist again soon.

3. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

average mlb salary: 4 million
    average nba salary: 4.9 million
    average nfl salary: 1.9 million

This is blowing my mind. I had no idea.

4. kidbourbon

Hey, I hate the sport of baseball too, but Jose Canseco is actually an honest, credible man.

5. hatvol96

If it weren't for a handful of quarterbacks, left tackles, and corners, that gap would be even more staggering.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

That would be awesome.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Surely you did. It's only half an NFL roster that is clearing a million dollars a year sometimes.

8. kidbourbon

I most certainly did not.

And please don't call me surely.

9. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

And yet the No Fun League makes more money than most countries, has the shortest shelf life of any player in any sport (of the three we are talking about), wrecks the player's body like no other professional sport, and doesn't have guaranteed contracts.

10. kidbourbon

Who is running the NFLPA? It's gotta either be:

(a) a double agent, or
    (b) Corky from Life Goes On.

Those are the only two options. The NFL focking prints money, man.

11. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

They owe everything and more to their marketing department.

12. hatvol96

Gene Upshaw was Pete Rozelle's lap dog and every NFLPA head since has followed his lead. I would feel sorry for the players if it weren't their own fault for cowering before the owners.

13. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

You mean to tell me that NFL players only get paid insofar as they actually produce commensurate results?

And they stop getting paid, when they can no longer produce? Imagine that.

I can see why this concept is so overwhelmingly strange - downright shocking - to most NBA / MLB fans.

And the NFL has both a Player's and Referee Unions, respectively, but differs from its MLB / NBA counterparts insofar as it doesn't actually control the league, and it's gameplay.

I know, I know - crazy talk, man.

14. hatvol96

Professional football and pro wrestling are essentially the same business. Guys destroy their bodies for the pleasure of dying broke, crippled, and addicted to opiates, while the suits stack money to the ceiling.

15. hatvol96

Spoken like a true management fellater. Nobody ever paid a dime to watch an owner sit in their luxury box. If the NFLPA ever has competent leadership, their salary numbers will explode. The fact they have had to fight to get longterm health care for their retired players shows what a sham the NFLPA is.

16. Tenacious D

Geez...you'd think that it'd be easy to show some backbone, and even to strike in demand of better / guaranteed pay, to more than triple their salaries.

I wonder why the NFLPA don't doesn't do just that? Seems an easy enough thing to do.

17. hatvol96

Gene Upshaw hit both of those categories.

18. hatvol96

That's how they got free agency. The NFLPA fails to learn from both their own history and the successes of their basketball and baseball counterparts.

19. Tenacious D

I agree - no one has paid a dime to watch an owner sit in a luxury box.

They just buy the tickets they print, go through the turnstyle and watch them play a game which they co-own.

So, the NFLPA just needs to lead it's members to sit out and demand change. Or, form it's own league.

Again, multiple, accessible and relativity simple solutions abound.

20. hatvol96

And sit it the stadiums the public built for the owners. Anyone who acts like professional sports owners are some sort of entrepreneurs needs to be tested for Ecstasy.