Lenny Dykstra Extorted Umps

Discussion in 'Sports' started by VolDad, Oct 27, 2015.

1. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Tickets printed on machines paid for by the public and turnstiles built with government funds.

2. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Hey, man - we're on the same side of this argument. I'd love to see the NFLPA lead a strike in demand of a more suitable financial arrangement.

I never tire of watching a Union get the living shit beaten out of them, only to later accept some pittance and come crawling back.

When do we start this thang - i'll make some signs!

3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

There is eventually going to be an NFL strike that makes MLB 94 look like child's play.

4. hatvol96

The union gets the shit beat out of it because, like the vast majority of the people who watch their silly little homoerotic exercise, the players are too stupid to look out for themselves.

5. hatvol96

I would love to see the NFL shut down for two or three years. Even better would be a couple of seasons of scab football with 20,000 people in the seats every Sunday.

6. Tenacious D

First, I'm not going to debate the lunacy of government backed or funded stadiums - in whole or in part. It is absolutely indefensible that any government ever does it.

However....I don't fault the owners in asking / demanding a city to do so, at all. If representative members of a freely elected body vote to do so, you don't have a football problem, but an economic and governmental one, instead.

7. Tenacious D

History laughs - while pointing - at this post.

8. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

It's coming at some point, I do believe. I love football, and I'm pro-business, but the owners way of going about it make my stomach turn.

9. Tenacious D

You saying that the Player's Union is failing it's members? Interesting.

Who, exactly, comproses the totality of its membership, again?

Who, exactly, elects those leaders who sit at the collective bargaining table?

So, two sides of consenting adults collectively bargain an arrangement. Oh yeah, we can't let this shit continue.

10. hatvol96

I have no problem with that system. It works perfectly for the players in the two sports I actually give a damn if they continue to exist. The NFLPA has been run by fools and the returns its members receive have borne that out. Hopefully, concussions and seeing a generation of its stars commit suicide and wheelchair bound will simply kill football off and I won't have to be annoyed with the NFLPA anymore.

11. Tenacious D

You jest.

The NFL could start each team anew - with lines of willing players ready to sign for a fraction of the current money (and it would be a fraction, make no mistake) - and not miss more than 2 weeks. In one year's time, a new crop would come in, and all but a handful of the scuttled players would have been long-since forgotten.

The NFLPA's problems are many, but none bigger than this - were they to engage in an extended strike (foregoing the reality that less than 10% of its members couldn't stomach more than 2-4 weeks of doing so) - it would be only the smallest and most temporary of black eyes, and the NFL would ultimately emerge even more profitable, popular and actually giving less than the two-token shits that they now give the Union.

I don't know if it's fair, depending on who you ask, if anyone likes or agrees with it, or not, but that's reality.

But as both the MLB and NBA increasingly engage global markets, and the exponentially larger pools of players that it will also and naturally bring, I don't expect their Leagues to be so strictly and narrowly beholden to their unions, either, going forward.

12. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

There is a big reason I do not want my kids playing tackle football (not that I worry either will ever be a professional athlete). But if they COULD be a professional athlete, football is the last one I would want them to get into.

Money is horrible (outside a few dozen outliers).
    You are done by the time you are 25, if you are lucky.
    And when you are 50, your body is that of a 75 year old.

No thanks.

13. hatvol96

So, you prove my point about football fans being the stupidest species on the planet. Anyone who would pay NFL prices to watch a bunch of scabs should be appointed a conservator. Of course, what should I expect from a group of Paul Finebaum callers? Sounds about right.

14. Tenacious D

If you have no problem with the system, but the NFLPA, then I don't see how you then blame the owner's, as a product of their doing it.

I can sell you my car for $1, if I want. I'd be stupid to do so, but I can. And if I do, is it your fault that I did?

15. hatvol96

Yeah, hold your breath waiting for the power of the MLBPA and the NBAPA to wane.

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

that's what happens when you have 5-10 times as many games.

17. hatvol96

Where am I blaming the owners? I don't think I've referenced a single owner yet.

18. Tenacious D

Straw man....straw man....straw man....

It's simple supply and demand.

You got the last bit exactly right.

19. Tenacious D

Sorry - did I misunderstand your earlier post, when you said "management"?

Aren't NFL Owners considered "management"?

20. hatvol96

Yeah, playing Jonathan Crompton at quarterback is the same as having Aaron Rodgers out there. Of course, most of the idiots who watch on Sundays couldn't discern the difference between a good high school football and the NFL if you didn't know tell them which was which. That's because stupid people are good at differentiating shit from gold. It's how CiCi's Pizza stays in business. If someone wants to pay prime rib prices to eat Krystal, have at it. Just don't be surprised when people with actual standards ridicule you.